Onkyo receiver feedback needed...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PaulW, Oct 23, 2005.

1. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

Ok my Onkyo TS-DS777 that I've had for 4 years is starting to have trouble. My front right channel gets all staticy at time. I plan on replacing it and was thing of going with a Onkyo TX-SR602 or TX-SR502 or 503. I was wondering if this "down grade" we be noticable to me? The room I have my HT in is much smaller (12 x 10) then when I got my 777 so I don't need all the power the 777 gives me. Thoughts?

I plan on ordering a reburb of the 602 or 502/503 from either ubib.com or ecost.com today or tomorrow so please let me know.

Thanks,
    PaulW

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Are there any features of the 777 that you might miss? Digital Outputs, perhaps? A phono input? Zones?

How efficient are your speakers?

The 777 has pre-outs, so you might be able to add a power amplifier. On the other hand, the lower end machines don't have pre/outs, so if the fault lies with the pre/pro section, you're going to be stuck with a useless power amplifier.

You might stop by a shop that sells Onkyo (Circuit City, if you can stand the place) and give it a listen.

3. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

The 602 has most all of the features I would like. The THX features are the only thing I might miss but the other receivers have a "Re-Eq" type feature of their own.

On the other hand I would gain the 196/24 DAC and get the 6.1 or 7.1

My speakers are Onkyo THX system 1, fronts are rated at 87/db/2.8 @ 1 M and the surrounds 83db/2.8v @ 1M

Both are 6 Ohms

My biggest question is would I loose any sound quality? Would the lower end amps produce as clean of output as my THX certified 777?

Thanks,
    PaulW

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I wouldn't be completely honest if I had said

because my Grado SR80/Powermac G4 setup is often clearly superior. It may be my speakers, though (old Infinity RS9 bookshelves ).

5. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

Hehe, was that an answer to my question? [​IMG]

Paul

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Maybe. I'd still use my ears, and not just a spec sheet.

(The Grados are very nice headphones, and the G4, IIRC, has one of those digital tripath amplifiers, though I do not know whether that amp also drives the headphone stage.)

7. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up an open box Harman Kardon AVR135 from Onecall.com for $199.

I hope the Haran Kardon are all they are talked up to be!

Paul

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 702 is on discount at most places right now with teh 703 hitting stores now. I'd seriously look into one of those. www.jr.com has them new for $599.

The 135 is the lowest model, so don't expect it to be the greatest performer.

9. Larry Fabbri

Larry Fabbri Extra

John is right, and the 702 has pre outs if you wish to upgrade the amplification later or add a two channel amp for stereo music.

10. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I understand it is their lowest end model. According to the rep at Onecall the amp quality of the Onkyo's doesn't equal the H/K (even their low end) until you hit the 7xx series. He suggested the 135 over both the Onkyo 502/3 and the Onkyo 602/3 that I was considering.

So time will tell.... I know I will be loosing a lot of power from my Onkyo 777, but dang, they want $350 to fix my 777!

I'll have the 135 on Thurs so I'll let you all know how it compares to my 777

PaulW

11. PaulW

PaulW Stunt Coordinator