What's new

Onkyo Receiver Connections (1 Viewer)

h2o2sno

Auditioning
Real Name
James Blanchard
I recently purchased an Onkyo TX-SR606. I'm building a new home and pre-wired for 5.1. Moving in next month. I tried to hook the receiver up to my current TV only set up and the picture was horrible. I ran the cable line directly from the cable box into the receiver, and then an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. The picture was green tinted and overall just awful. I boxed the receiver up and decided to wait until I get into the house to tackle this.

I could use some guidance here. Can someone recommend a smart cable set up when I take this on?

thanks!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
How did you have the cable box connected to the receiver? HDMI? Component? What are the model numbers of your TV and your cable box. Do you have a standard DVD player in the mix? Have you done any kind of consumer calibration with a disc like Avia or Digital Video Essentials?

Regards,

Joe

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You should try out the A/V receiver now, before the return period with the store runs out.

A sharp but highly discolored picture usually signifies a color space mismatch. Does either your TV HDMI in (or component video ins) or your A/V receiver HDMI out (or component video outs) or both have selections for RGB versus Y/Cb/Cr? They have to match and the selection if present is always manual. Y/Cb/Cr is the norm (default). Just for this discussion consider Y/Cb/Cr and Y/Pb/Pr to mean the same thing.

Also the cable box out and the A/V receiver in need to match. The question of color space comes up only if the connection is HDMI or component video or VGA.

h2o2sno

Auditioning
Real Name
James Blanchard
All

My cable provider is comcast, it's a digital HD cable box. When I just run the cable from the cable box into the TV the picture is okay. It's when I try to run an HDMI from the box to the TV that the picture is degraded. I do have a cheap DVD player installed right now, along with a Wii.

My plan is to run HDMI cables from a new Blue-Ray, my Wii and cable box directly into the receiver, and one HDMI to the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks