Onkyo Rcver sound problem....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Allan, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Well, here is the situation. I have had an Onkyo TX-DS 575 receiver. I have had this receiver for about 3 1/2 years and everything worked great until this week. Now, however, the following problem is happening: For the past three days, when I turn the receiver on, NO sound comes out. No matter what input I put it on (e.g., CD, radio, TV...), no sound. However, each night I have gotten sound to come out by playing around with the receiver. One night, I hit the button to turn on the test tones, and the tones worked and then everything worked perfectly afterwards. Another night, the test tone thing did not work, and I hit FM Mute and that triggered the sound..... Bottom line, does anyone have any suggestions what the heck is going on???

Thanks,
    Allan

2. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Allan, I have the X version of that receiver. I have not encountered that problem (very weird problem!), but it is not in use as my primary unit. I haven't read the manual in quite some time, but look for how to do a processor reset. Not 100% sure that the Onkyo has it, but I do know HK does. I would do the reset as the first step, and go from there. Has the unit been recently moved or something that might generate electrical noise, recently installed? The sources you mentioned, are primarily 2 channel, did you try moving the mains to the B terminals?

JohnS

3. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Well, as it turns out the problem seems to go away after the receiver is turned on for about 5 minutes. In other words, I turn it on and get no sound from any of the inputs. However, after leaving the receiver on for about 5 minutes, the sound then comes out fine. Any suggestions what the problem is or how to fix it???

thanks

4. John S

John S Producer

Often times this can be a bad / marginal solder joint, after it warms up it makes better connection.

Not the easiest thing to track down either.

5. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

I agree with John, it can be a solder joint, which are hard to find, especially in modern receivers, with many boards and connections. I have used electronic freeze-it spray, to issolate solder joints, but not on something that has compacted components as this, and you have to be very careful with that, as well. Its probably time for a tech to take a look at it.

6. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Well, I am still experiencing the same problems with my receiver. Here is my question -- I've had it for nearly 4 years. Is it even worth bringing it in for someone to look at it? Assuming it is a loose solder connection, how much will they charge to open it up and repair. (It was a $500 receiver when bought new.) Is it just time to bite the bullet and buy a new receiver?

thanks

7. John S

John S Producer

Tough call... I would think the average tech could track it down with about 2 hours labor. I don't think there will be any parts involved.

4 years huh? No DPLII or DPLIIx? DTS??

You may very well want to upgrade.