Onkyo Quality

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Simple Question. How does Onkyo Rate as far as quality products, specifically in Recievers? Compared to Sony? (Which I know I read somewhere definately does not excel in Reciever making.)

I use to always buy one brand of items, til I grew up and realized different companies make different items better than others.

I'm looking at getting an Onkyo Reciever to replace my Sony STRDE935. (which I admit had been great for 6+ years.) and I wanted to know what to expect. I can get it for $304, the Onkyo TX-SR604. I imagine that is a pretty great dead with all it can do, especially compared to my Non HD options current Reciever.

How does Onkyo Rate among the other better known Brands, HK, Yamaha, Etc?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Onkyo receivers are top notch. My eight year old HK Dolby digital / DTS receiver has been flawless to the point where they will be my first choice when it comes time for a replacement.
While the sound quality of HK receivers is similar to Onkyo HK has been known to have some serious reliability issues.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Thanks. Let me add one thing and ask does that apply to thier midrange stuff? I'm guessing at $300 I ain't getting thier flagship system.

Does Onkyo have 3 tiers of product? Low, Mid, and High?

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Wait I'm confused. So Onkyo is the lower end version of a company called Integra? Or do I have that backwards?

Is this kind of like what car companies do? Like Honda/Acura?

If what I have now isn't mid-range.. what is it?

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Oh I am sorry. I read your other post wrong. I missed the keyword HAS. I thought you had said Onkyo IS a high-end brand known as Integra. My mistake.

But anyway so under $500 is considered low end? Well shoot, that's exactly what I got with the TXSR604 that I got today that is currently sitting in my room unopened. (I haven't had time yet to open it.)

I guess knowing that puts me off a little bit and I'm second guessing buying it. I only have a bedroom where this will be used, and it's replacing a Sony STRDE935 I've had some 6 years... which I am guessing is also "Low end" but back then I paid like $600 for it.

I am an average consumer. I honestly doubt I could tell the difference between low and mid and high. I am getting married next year and then we will have a place, probably an apartment first and this receiever will become our living room reciever. Someday when we have a house, and maybe an HT room... I would have more need for mid-or high end?

I guess I need a little reassurance that this reciever was a good replacement to my Sony. I know it has considerbly newer decoding in it. My Sony is just Good old Dolby and DTS 5.1.

I'm sure none would argue I got a good deal on the Onkyo right? ($350 which includes a 3 year warranty.)

Thanks...

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Well let's select the best receiver for you on your budget. First a few questions to get you started:

1. What speakers do you own?
2. What are the dimensions of the room?
3. What percentage of time is spent on music vs movies
4. What video will you be connecting to the receiver (e.g. DVD Player, gaming consoles, cable box, etc)
5. Do you require HDMI switching?
6. How important is audio quality vs having lots of video features?

Don't be put off at all, there are many excellent receivers on the market under $500 from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc. The majority of consumers spend under $500 on a receiver.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
My speakers are Infinity accross the board. My rears and Sub are new still, Rears are SAT750s, and the Sub is a PS8. I also replaced my mains with some Primus 250s for $100 (Floor Models) Replacing some RS-2's I had forever. My Center I believe is a CC-2.

I'm in a bedroom currently, (Til the wedding!) It's an older house, but this is the second biggest room. It's maybe... 10 x 10? I am not sure... maybe 12 x 12 or a bit bigger. It's a bedroom, bottom line.

I listen to virtually zero music at home on my stereo. Whatever I listen to is either in the car or on my iPod. I'm very much a movie person. I love surround sound. Kicking back on my bed and enjoying a movie that rumbles the room.

My video outputs are a DVD player, HD Cable, and Now a Wii. My TV has one Component (Being used by Cable) and one HDMI (Being used by the DVD Player.) I have component cables for the Wii, so I was one component plug short for that item.

I do not require HDMI switching now to be honest since the one item I have that's HDMI I will continue to plug directly into the TV. But I like knowing I will have a spare HDMI plug for the future thanks to the Recieving gaining me one.

I'd probably lean more towards video input options vs audio quality. I would not even call myself anything remotely near a "audiophile."

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
For a room of that size and for movie viewing only, I wouldn't dream of spending more than $500! Here are the receivers I would consider with HDMI:

Pioneer VSX-1016TXV
Harman Kardon AVR 245
Onkyo TX-SR604

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info.

But didn't you see that I said I already bought the Onkyo 604? It's sitting in my room about 3 feet from me, unopened.

So.... guess I shall keep it and give it a try. And not like I can't take it back if I want. But for the price I paid... I doubt I am going to be able to beat that deal!

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Onkyo's are one of the best. The 604 is great, but the 674 adds HDMI video upconversion, so 1 plug to the TV.

/Onkyo TX-SR803 owner

Sky King

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Adam,

It was finally time for me to replace my 12 y/o Yamaha RV98, that while still working well, was starting to show it's age.
I bought the Onkyo 604 two weeks ago and find it to be an awesome receiver for this price range...I paid $380 including tax.
My Bose speakers sound richer and the auto speaker calibration is definately a must have, as are the all the a/v jacks.
Keep the 604.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your input guys. I'm looking forward to giving this thing a try, which will probably be tomorrow at this point.

One question. Where can I find that Onkyo iPod dock thing that works with thier receivers? And what can it do exactly? The site says the reciever has "Enhanced" iPod compatilbity. Whatever that means.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashwagandhaplus