Onkyo Prices Too High in Canada?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vu N, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Vu N

Vu N Auditioning

Hi,
    I was just browsing around the electronics stores in my town (Vancouver, BC) for home theater components and noticed the prices of the Onkyo 494 and 595 receivers. They were ~$700 and ~$1000 Cdn respectively which translates to $445 US for the 494 and $635 US for the 595. These prices were from Visions which is one of the cheaper stores in the area. I know that you can order the 494 and 595 online in the U.S. for under $300 and $400 US. Does anyone know why there is such a high price discrepancy or am I looking at the wrong stores? I am interested in these receivers but don't want to buy them if they are that much money, especially when my American neighbours can get them for much cheaper. Thanks in advance.
    Vu

2. Myles

Myles Agent

They can be higher....so can Denon. I think in Denon's case it's due to the fact that there is no Canada based distributer. There are some better deals out there. I purchased a new Integra 5.2 receiver for $850 inc. tax!
    Check out:http://www.audioexpress.ca/homeaudio_receivers.html
    The listed prices are high but go ahead and email them and you should be surprised.

3. Stuart C

Stuart C Extra

I've noticed the same thing. The prices seem to be inflated beyond straight exchange on the dollars.
    Onkyo 696 $1489 CND = @ $943 US, One call list it at $799
    on sale at $687
    The Marantz is priced identical at $1489
    They have also list the 494 at $299 and the 595 at 499, both US dollars on sale at lower prices.
    Time to think about importing.......

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Vu, I just saw A&B's flier and they have a Sherwood DD/DTS 60watt/channel receiver going on sale at $197 Cdn. This may be too low end for you but I wish I were able to take advantage of this (I have a receiver already). I can't believe how prices have come down of HT stuff.

5. Vu N

Vu N Auditioning

Hi Len,
    I saw that ad too and I was wondering what brand that was when I was reading it yesterday afternoon. It's a door crasher for a sale that started yesterday so it's too bad that there probably wouldn't be any left.
    Thanks for the website link Myles. I've emailed them and am awaiting their reply.
    Vu

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Pardon my ignorance, but are those prices before or after taxes? If post-tax, that would bring US prices slightly closer.

7. Stuart C

Stuart C Extra

Before taxes(gst&pst), which adds 15% in Ontario. That Marantz price is a 7200. An Onkyo 989 or a Denon 5800 push the 5K range. Living in Rochester, you have a great opportunity to shop in Canada and get the taxes back. GST (goods and services tax)at the border when you leave, then claim the pst(provicial sales tax) by mail for refund. Exchange rate at the bank typically runs @1.58 US dollars for every Canadian dollar.

8. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Last year I bought an Onkyo 575X for $400 US through Crazyeddies.com via borderfree.com. Taxes and duty were LOTS more than expected from borderfree. Oh well. Am looking to upgrade as it doesn't have preouts.
    ------------------
    I AM CANADIAN!