What's new

Onkyo or Sony? (1 Viewer)

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I would wait and buy the new 501. Actually, it can be found on the CC website now. Same price as the 500.

Shiu

Second Unit
If you end up choosing Sony, the DA1ES gives the best value for the dollar. As long as you can live with 5.1 it should sound the same as the 2ES and almost as good as the much more expensive 4ES.

I had an Onkyo Integra TX-SV909PRO, arguably the first real 'flagship' AVR from any manufacturer...(and I believe the first AVR to include a Toslink input). It was a beautiful thing. I replaced it with a Rotel RSX-1065 last year, and while the Rotel kicks on HT, the 2CH performance is virtually identical.

High end Onkyo amps are really fantastic.

Barry

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I want to second the opinion about the onkyo TXSR501. It is a nice upgrade over the 500. Minimal wattage increase, however, it supports DTS ES 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX. Nice feature.

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
onkyo's mass market 25lb circuit city units are total garbage compared to a 45lb Sony ES unit. So someone stop the bleeding.

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Randall,

Quote:You have to look at Sony's aim... Sony doesn't make high-end
equipment and they never will. The only thing that Sony has that
comes close to high-end is the ES series.

I don't know what pissed you off about Sony, but as an ES owner I am totally happy with what I hear from my DA3ES!!
Bass has nothing to do with my satisfaction, but clear sound sound does!!

Sorry you feel this way, and By the way, Bass Boost is not even in the menu of my ES!! or any other ES that I know of!

Maybe you shouldn't buy Bose for your Onkyo, and I have never heard the combo, or individual units, but I do know my system!

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
I know this may look like "piling on", but I saw these reviews of Randall Duncan’s recommended (Onkyo TX-SR500)on Cnet and just had to post them here. They just prove my point, that all manufacturers have less worthy products than the high end models they sell.

When I began looking for info on what Randall was running, I assumed that Randall owned a high end Onk home theater receiver (not being familiar with Onkyo model numbers). I was surprised to learn that Randall apparently does not own a HT receiver. His Onkyo model # TX-511 is a 2 channel stereo unit. (At least that’s what his posts indicate). I really can't tell what Randall owns or what he knows from his posts, other than his penchant for blowing up professional speakers and his love for his "Onk", oh and he is very afraid of making a buying decision on some Wharfdale speakers from Circuit City. (Can't help you there Randall, I don't buy speakers at Circuit City).

Anyway, back to the reviews of what our knowledgeable friend Randall recommends, of course these are just sample points of view (not mine, as I have never auditioned an Onkyo in person) and should not be taken as a blanket statements about all of Onkyo's products.

Excerpt from Cnet's professional reviewer: Steve Guttenberg
About the Onkyo TX-SR500.

Why have a Prologic II that can't allow to adjust the center width, surround depth, and panoramic effect ? These are all the exciting features offered in the new Prologic II format and how much it costs to enable this ? Nothing ! These are just software settings. Why Onkyo cutting out this feature in this entry model is a real puzzle.
Randall, don't even slam Sony's ES line again in here man, your point of view is not really valid considering your 2 channel equipment and your lack of home theater knowledge. The Onkyo TX-SR500 is a very basic 5.1 channel unit that most people who spend time on-line in this forum to learn about HT would not even consider. The unit cannot process enough inputs, it does not have enough power, and it cannot even serve as a pre-pro. Not that anyone would want to use it as one with its limited surround sound and other processing capabilities. It simply is not a suitable unit for an average Home Theater.(even with the color coded speaker wires included).

:thumbsdown:

Randall Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
On the bass shakers... I am NOT interested in them! ...I just
know of their existance... I really don't like them.

Ok... I never really heard a Sony ES, I've just seen the prices (online).
So, I guess they really must be outstanding! (Sorry, I'm limited
to Best Buy, Circuit City, and RadioShack.)

And about the "home theater" knowledge thing... Ok... I admit
to that... But, I have HEARD Onkyo's and Sony's (home theater)
in the same price range compared in the stores and I have to
say that Onkyo had a better sound. But I can't say much...
As you have sad... Ok, I'll shut it now. :frowning:

(Note to self: See? Lookit what you did! People hate you now!
Stop posting in the middle of the night when you don't know
what you're saying and what your standing point is! ...You've
already learned your lesson on other message boards of a
different nature.)

I really should look for a local high-end dealer and go listening
to some stuff that I may not have heard...

Did I say I'll shut it? ...Ok... I'll do that now. :frowning:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Scott,

I am quite certain we don't want to turn this into a Onkyo
Bashing thread because if that's your goal I will literaly
post hundreds of pages of complaints about numerous audio
and video items that Sony manufactures. Or would you just
rather I post the class action lawsuit information?

I washed my hands of Sony products a few years ago from my
own hands on experiance of thier products. That was my
choice. I then decided to go with Onkyo and no my DS787 was
not the "Basic" bottom of the line Reciever sold at BB either.

Infact aside from the 989 or Integra Seperates there is
no other Reciever from Onkyo I would trade my 787 for.

Many reviewers have raved about Onkyo's sound... But in the
same token there have been numerous negative reviews of
Onk's low priced recievers.. Audio Dropout problems, Amp
Power issues etc.. And that would keep me from buying Onk's
low priced recievers too.

It's real simple.. If I get something and it treats me well
I will recommend it. If I get a pig in a poke (like I did
with Sony) I won't dare recommend it.. If I was one of the
people who shelled out good money for an Onkyo Reciever
that had DTS Audio Dropouts I would hardly post a glowing
review. Thankfully though.. I got my Onk before they got in
bed with CC and BB as much as they are now..

terence

Supporting Actor
I think we all could do a search and find that someone has had a bad experience with every brand. Some brands on this forum become easy targets than others, also the ES line is not sold at BB & CC. far as online you can find alot of brand name AVR's sold well under MSRP. I agree with you Brett on not recommending a product that you had a bad experience with, but some people have grudges to hold against some manufacturers. Oh yes there are plenty of SONY ES fans on this forum including me.;)

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Brett,

I don't believe Scott's posts above were meant to bash Onkyo.
He was just responding to Randall's posts from early this morning ( As was I ) and now Randall has seen fit to delete the posts, which makes it look like Scott is bashing Onkyo.

Im sure Onkyo's upper line of receivers are great, and I have no experience to say otherwise.

However he was pointing out to Randall that all lower end lines are far from perfect.

Thanks,
Steve.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned a couple of Sony ES receivers, as well as several of their mid-level DB pieces and low-level DE pieces, and wasn't terribly thrilled with any of them. When I hear a Sony "enthusiast" tout how excellent the Sony products are, I smile, because I used to do the same thing, myself, until I actually started paying attention. All of the Sonys had a high noise floor with very audible static, excessive cross-talk between inputs, high operating temperatures, and so on. One of the ES models went into overload protection on a regular basis, and I never even had a chance to really "crank" it, since I lived mostly in apartments.

I could always count on Sony for twenty-three useless surround modes, though.

Now, that's not to say that other receivers (including Onkyo) don't have the same operational quirks or perform equally poorly... I'm sure many do, which is why I sold my ES receiver and am now saving up for separates.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
well i have the TX SR500, i got it last fall, i picked it up for 260 at my local CSW, i had a 15 perecent off cupon. Being a college student in a dorm i found that it suits my needs perfectly. When i was looking at recivers i didn't see anything that compared to it, in build and quality, My parents have a kenwood 200 dollare jobbies for CC and it is worth not even half of that, very confusing and cumbersome. When i demoed the Onkyo I was very happy that i learned how to set all the functions and features in under 10 min.

I havn't noticed any problems with the audio. Combined with my Newton M80s i am very happy with it. Although i do wish it had pre outs so i can add my new Crown DC 300A II to it, i will manage. As for the loads that it can drive, I have been driving it at 4ohms for the last few weeks and havn't noticed a problem. Although i don't drive nearly close to reference.

Is it the best reciver no by far. Is it the best for the money? i believe it is for the simplicity of the unit, the great sound it produces, Would i buy a differnet receiver for the same price, probably not.

But thats just my opinion, from a guy who actually owns a TX SR500

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Brett DiMichele

I was not starting any kind of Onkyo bashing thread here. If you care to re-read my 2 posts in this thread, they were just the opposite. I was pointing out to a teenager that his lack of knowledge showed, and that he should not bash another brand, especially when in fact he has never owned a HT receiver in his life!

His posts in the thread started out innocuous enough...(which he has now deleted, apparently because I brought him back to some sort of reality)
But then they grew more and more rabid in his hatred for Sony products.

In fact, he went so far as to say that he was at one of his buddies homes who owned a Sony, and actually threatened his buddy with the destruction of his Sony receiver if he did not turn it off! He was saying that he was going to pick up the poor guys audio equipment and smash it on the ground because it did not sound good enough for him! What a buddy, huh!

Now, I think most every adult who posts in this forum would agree that we all have different opinions about what receiver sounds right to them. And we all have certain brand loyalties. BUT to post that you’re a fool that you will destroy an inanimate object that does not belong to you, really goes a few steps too far!

That is why I weighed in to slow Randall's rhetoric a bit. I looked at his previous posts, and learned that he was no expert, far from it (not that there is anything wrong with that, as long as you do not advertise yourself as an expert).

Randall is just a kid, who got enthusiastic about his 2 channel Onkyo. And that’s fine also, but then without any personal knowledge at all he starts to recommend an entry level Onkyo HT receiver that has had a history of serious problems and only produces 65 watts per channel. Additionally, without any personal history, he knocks other manufacturers including Sony.

When you re-read my first post, you will see that I make the point that all manufacturers have entry level receivers that have had to make compromises so that they can be sold to price conscious consumers.

Randall seemingly took my message to heart, I think he needed a wake up call, hopefully he grew up a little. I am not his enemy. I think he should post in here and learn as much as he can. Just like all of us. He just needs to remember that when he starts to spew BS, there are old dogs like me around that will call him on it. He seems to be a good kid otherwise, and I am all for him continuing to build his knowledge through this forum.

I just did not want Randall giving advise to someone else who might know even less than he does, and have them go out and buy an Onkyo entry level receiver for a 20X30 room with 25 foot ceilings. And completely overlook a Sony DA4ES which might be more appropriate for that task. Or maybe a higher level Onkyo with more power and more features.

So, no I do not want this to become an Onkyo bashing thread. I also do not want this to become a Sony bashing thread, which in fact was why I posted in the first place.

I can’t bash Onkyo, as I said in my post, because I have never owned one, or for that matter I have never even auditioned one. I made that point already.

I have no idea where you get the message that I want to start bashing Onkyo in general. I simply pointed out to Randall that the particular Onkyo that he was touting as being the best HT receiver was a $150.00 entry level unit that suffered the same problems that entry level Sony’s do, and Kenwood’s, and every other manufacturer of consumer audio.

Ok?
:D

Randall Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Randall seemingly took my message to heart, I think he needed a wake up call, hopefully he grew up a little. I am not his enemy. I think he should post in here and learn as much as he can. Just like all of us. He just needs to remember that when he starts to spew BS, there are old dogs like me around that will call him on it. He seems to be a good kid otherwise, and I am all for him continuing to build his knowledge through this forum.
Yes, Scott, you did wake me up to reality. I know what I know
and I know that it doesn't apply here. Now that I know that, I'll
try and stick with what I know. :)

Thanks, Scott... I really did needed that. :)

StevieP

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Randall,

Keep reading, writing, and talking!

But be cool and every one will know where you are at!

Learning is great, and thats where I'm at !!!

Watch,Listen,& Hang-out!!! (But sometimes be reserved!)

edited for spelling !!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks