What's new

Onkyo offering to repair Receivers 2009-2012 HDMI Issues (1 Viewer)

Dulanic

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
So happy I found this post. My TX-N509 HDMI board crapped the bed. Getting a new 7.2 for $200... can't complain!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I shipped off my 809 in early December and had it back in ten days.

Jim DeBell

Auditioning
Just had my 616 die on me, no sound or Network access. According to their website it fits for a repair or I could have traded it for a 646 for $200. I am having it repaired because I am I process of starting a new theater build and will probably be buying a new receiver when room is done in spring.

Mikeyvt

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Just found this post. Informative. Unfortunately sounds like they won't take my receiver. They say either it doens't need an update or my unit is not experiencing the problem currently. Having the HDMI issue where it intermittently loses sound and picture from HDMI. Is this what some people were experiencing?

Dulanic

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Just found this post. Informative. Unfortunately sounds like they won't take my receiver. They say either it doens't need an update or my unit is not experiencing the problem currently. Having the HDMI issue where it intermittently loses sound and picture from HDMI. Is this what some people were experiencing?

I had a similar issue and put it effects sound... because it does, you lose sound on all channels because it is.. you lose sound on all channels from all channels when the HDMI drops out.

Mikeyvt

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I'm guessing it must be the serial number. Even though I"m having the issue it still says that my 'Unit does not need an update'.

upload_2017-3-3_14-21-50.png

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My HT-RC 460 started acting up last week and finally wouldn't turn on the amps last night. Don't have a spare I could use while I ship it off, so I opted for the $130 rebate when you ship it back and bought the TX-NR555 for $429 Cdn, meaning a net payout of $300, plus I'm now set up for 4K and Dolby Atmos/dts:X.

garyseven

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Sent an audio dead NR708 in about 4 years ago and got it back in a week. Has worked perfect since. And then I got the 4K bug. Picked up today a TX-NR609 with a remote at a thrift for $20. No audio, greyed out network setting. Punched in the S/N on the Onkyo recall site. Got a box on the way. I'll report back

garyseven

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Ok. Just realized something. The 609 is only HDMI 1.4 compatible. Not HDMI 2.0. It only upscales to 4K. It will not actually pass a 4K signal, such as from a 4K player. Am I correct?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ok. Just realized something. The 609 is only HDMI 1.4 compatible. Not HDMI 2.0. It only upscales to 4K. It will not actually pass a 4K signal, such as from a 4K player. Am I correct?

Yes, HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 is required for passing 4K video. HDMI 1.4 only added support for 3D video and ARC.

garyseven

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Got the box to ship the 609 back today. It's one it's way. I'll report back soon as have something new.

garyseven

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Got the 609 back yesterday. Brief hook up and all menu options were up. Got audio thru all channels. I'll hook it into my system tonight.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

I have an Onkyo TX sr806 experiencing a crackling on the HDMI hook up for my xbox one and loss of sound, both of which seem to be known problems according to the Onkyo website linked at the beginning of this post. However, when I put my serial number in the site says my unit does not need this upgrade. I would tend to disagree as the problem has been getting progressively worse. Anything to be be done?

Thanks,

Dr.Dan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Huigens
I looked online several months ago about hdmi board repair and did not see this forum. I have a TXNR3800 and the hdmi board went out just before my warranty was up. Got it repaired and they put an Integra board in so when I turned the unit on it now said INTEGRA!
Now about 3 years later hdmi board went out again. As I said I new nothing about being able to send it in nor did Onkyo contact me.
I took it in for repair at a qualified Onkyo repair shop. They had it for 9 weeks! I had to call, they said HDMI board is out and wanted $490.00 to repair it!!! They said nothing about Onkyo's program to send it in. I didn't want it fixed, bought a new Denon and went and picked up my Onkyo. Then I see the program for send in units, filled out the form and said my unit was one that is OK'd! Sending it in for repair, didn't want another ONKYO!

Dr.Dan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Huigens
Onkyo sent me out the return box (for my txnr3800 with a bad hdmi board) to send back for a free repair. They said in the letter it would be repaired in 5-7 days once received. We will see, doesn't really matter because I had already bought a new Denon receiver before I knew about this return policy!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It took about 2 weeks all told for me, from request to receipt of refurbed unit.

I believe that they simply shipped me a replacement refurb and kept mine to repair and ship it to the next person, it was that fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks