What's new

Onkyo .Marantz.Emotiva or? (1 Viewer)

jimmytee

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Hello, not really all that new, was a member late 90s to around 2003.Personal chaos aside, I'm looking to once again start upping the ante in my HT world. I've owned Yamaha's top of the line receivers in the past and have owned Krell. So given this, it's not surprising that while the Onkyo 608 receiver I bought last year is fine in it's own right, I want more.

Now when I bought this 608,I had read some good reviews,and took it for granted (my fault) I'd be able to add an amplifier. I assumed it would have pre-outs.wrong ! So right now I'm trying to decide between buying used and forgoing some of the newest features or going with either the Onkyo TX-NR1008 or the Marantz SR7005 and adding at least a two channel external amp for the mains. One other option I'm considering is the new Emotiva UMC-1. However, I've only seen1 very limited review of it ,Plus it doesn't have the latest 1.4a HDMI.

I've seen some pretty good prices come and go for the Rotel 1098 pre/pro. I know I'm kind of all over the map here ,but looking for some feedback. My mains are Wharfedale Emerald MK4,which need a lot more than this little Onkyo can deliver.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
If you want 1.4a, that does limit things a lot right now. Maybe that will change when the new models come out in April/May.

B&K receivers are supposed to be software upgradable. They are 1.3 right now. I don't know if they will upgrade to 1.4 easily.

Sunfire TGR401 would give you 200wpc (nice) but they are 1.3 also.

I used to have some enty level Rotel that I thought sounded sterile but I don't know if that applies to the rest of their line... or their current line, at all.

Sonically, I have always preferred Marantz and NAD for mid-level audio. However, NAD is also 1.3 at this time.

When the new stuff comes out, it is possible that choices will be more abundant. As painful as it is, I have decided to wait. I was going to go with the Marantz SR6005 and there is probably no reason to put that off. It has every thing that I need and want but I have to wait to see what is around the corner.

I also think that the Emotiva UMC-1 is very interesting to combine with their XPA-5 (200wpc) but again... 1.3 HDMI. It's crazy but I wish it wasn't named after the local University Medical Center hospital. I think of that every time I think of the equipment. They look good, but sonically, I have no idea how they are.

Nick

jimmytee

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately ,you gotta know that I'm itching to get something,I'm sure waiting would always yeild more choices. There are some mighty good used options that ,like you mentioned ,usually sacrifice the HDMI1.4 option.I think that half the battle is purely psychological,because the reality is I don't know if I'm seriously going 3D soon and if I did I don't have to run my source through an AVR or PrePro. I am leaning towards the Onkyo or Maranz, The marantz would be more expensive for about the same feature set. Are the looks and the sound difference worth the extra cash. Again I'm sure either way I decide, I'll end up externally amping at least my mains. I almost bought a used B&K reference 200.5 last week,but held off, considering the Emotiva amps.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
We are alot alike Jim. I almost bought a used B&K 200.7 a few weeks ago but I am going with 5.1 and I don't plan on bi-amping or anything, so the 7 channels are not needed. I also fight this 3D plague. I don't see myself getting into 3D within the next year or two and maybe much longer but I tend to keep my equipment for a long time, so that is something for me to consider.

I don't think that the Marantz looks any better than the Onkyo. I know that many people say the Onkyo looks old-fashioned or bland but I think quite the contrary. I like the look of the Onkyo. I do think that it is a little unfortunate that the entire line has the same look but if I had to buy entry-level that would make me quite happy, I guess.

Now, the Emotiva is great looking... mostly. I like the control surface of the face of the UMC-1 and the equally clean rear panel. I like the metal remote, but I don't think it is backlit! I don't like those decorative silver appliques on the ends of the box (where rack mount handles would go) but that's a small thing. I would like to have the 200wpc.

I like the idea of the HD radio on the Marantz, though it may not get much, if any use in my house. I like that you can set the turn-on volume and max volume independently for each source (but maybe Onkyo and Emotiva do that too, I don't know). If you are comparing the 1008 to the 6005, I would lean to the 6005 for the relatively small price difference but if you are weighing the 1008 against the 7005 (due to multi-zone capability), I don't know if the 7005 would be worth the difference, at nearly twice the price.

Nick

jimmytee

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Well, Nick I decided to throw caution to the wind and bought an used B&K ref 50 preamp. I;m bidding on a reference 200.5 series 2 right now,we'll see.I don't know if I made the right choice. I'm sure the ref 50 will sound great, but with the caveat of working around the whole HDMI thing and having to purchase a Blu ray player with analog out and internal decoder for the lossless HD soundtracks.Hopefully I won't regret it, if anything I can always buy something else latter.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Wow, that is crazy. When I went to look at the 200.7 a couple of weeks ago, they had advertised a Ref 50 at the same time. I was planning on buying both. The Ref 50 was listed for $500 and the 200.7 for $1100. When I got there, the Ref 50 had been sold, so I lost interest in the 200.7

Good luck on the 200.5

I'm supposed to be getting my HT seating this Thursday, and if I do, it may be real difficult for me to wait for the new electronics to come out. I may go ahead with a Marantz 6005. If the 6005 and Mirage Nanosats do not do it for me, then they will go in the bedroom and I will go with a bigger system in the living room (perhaps Emotiva, used B&K or used Sunfire).

Nick

jimmytee

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Well ,I let the 200.5 go .Made the choice to buy a new Emotiva XPA-5 when the price of the B&K went above 700.I like what I've read about this amp and it looks pretty good, to me.

Anticipating the Ref 50. I'm now thinking that had I not already bought this, I would probably look towards the Marantz 7005 pre amp.I really like the features.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Okay... I will be very interested in you appraisal of the XPA-5.

Later,

Nick

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I thought B&K went out of business a few months back? I bought the Onkyo TX-NR1008 refurbished from Accessories for less a bit over a month ago for the secondary basement system I had a Pioneer 1120 down there I got at a very good deal but wanted to do 8.1 I had wired for and the room is very large and other than an old NAD amp to drive height channels did not (or really have the room for) outboard amps. So far I like it. As far as doing 3D, you always can get an HDMI splitter from a player or something like the new Oppo BDP-93 that has two HMDI outs so that one could be run to a TV and one to a processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks