What's new

Onkyo M282 vs M5010 (1 Viewer)

Ben Hendrix

Auditioning
Real Name
ben hendrix
i'm looking to purchase one of these onkyo amplifiers but which is better? i know the 5010 is the newer model but it has less wattage. Is that important? i'm trying to boost my magna planar electro static speakers. Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, speaking of which... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAFLER-XL-600-POWER-AMP-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/181087896286?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a29ae02de

Ben Hendrix

Auditioning
Real Name
ben hendrix
thanks so much for the reply - unfortunately, i'm on a budget and the Hafler amp is above my range currently :/ i wasnt trying to buy it b/c it was new, it just had different features listed and since i'm no expert... i wasnt sure what was going to make a big difference, and what wasnt... anything else someone would suggest to look for in the $200-$350 range?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How much power do you need? The reason I mention Hafler(there were more than one...and most below $350) is you can re-sell those for what you paid. Do you have a receiver now with pre-outs? Or...??? Many people find "more power" doesn't solve the underlying issue. I used to run a pair of SMGa from a Denon DRA-335. The 335 is hardly a powerhouse...and played the SMGa plenty loud. Also(they used to mention on the website, maybe they still do???) In their headquarters, they run a pair off a 10w tube amp. 10w tube makes most of the Maggies sing.

Ben Hendrix

Auditioning
Real Name
ben hendrix
to be honest, im not sure what EXACTLy i need, i just know that my Onkyo TX-NR1009 THX receiver does a good job at powering those speakers, but not a GREAT job. I really want to crank them up loud w/out pushing the receiver to 80db for decent sound, but no way their peak. So yes, my receiver does have pre-outs and im open to a tube amp if thats what is best.. but i'm not really sure.. lol i have no hifi friends i can ask so i'm turning to the best place i know.... forums :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have the 1008. I run a 7.1 plus height. It never lacks for power...but.... Most of the time "icky sounding planar" is not helped by "more power". Is this "just a pair" or is this an entire theater? IF "just a pair", I would purchase a tube...of some form...here is an example. Ugly? Sure. But it works...and will make your Maggies sing like Shirley Bassey http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Harman-Kardon-FA3000X-tube-receiver-amplifier-with-4-new-power-tubes-/261171069872?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3ccf0243b0

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, I've used a "speaker switch" in reverse order before... Connect your Maggie to a switch then the 1009 and "That HK" to the speaker switch. But, only turn on one amplifier at a time(or smoke will happen...) Then you can have the 1009 run the theater...and when you listen to 2 channel and want more glory...there you go.

Glen B2

Agent
Real Name
Glen
Ben Hendrix said:
i'm looking to purchase one of these onkyo amplifiers but which is better? i know the 5010 is the newer model but it has less wattage. Is that important? i'm trying to boost my magna planar electro static speakers. Thanks!
Neither amp. Those models are no better than inexpensive receivers. The M282 has no published 6 ohm or 4 ohm spec, the M5010 actually puts out less power into 4 ohms, power measurements made into a less demanding 1kHz, versus 20Hz - 20KHz. I have no problem with Onkyo, I had their TX-DS696 AVR as the centerpiece of my HT system for several years. IMO, your money is better spent on an amp like the Emotiva UPA-200. Its a much better value. http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/upa200

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks