What's new

Onkyo LS-V950 question (1 Viewer)

Eric Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone. I hope I'm posting in the correct place, if not please forgive me.

I am new to home theatre audio and would like purchase a HTiB. A friend recommended the Onkyo LS-V950, but I'd like a few more opinions before I put down 1000 bucks. So, does anyone have any opinions on this system?

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Yes, I set this up 2 days ago. It blows.
Now let me explain my juvenile comment. The speakers can handle barely any volume at all. It retails for about a grand and has a good receiver and a good subwoofer. However simply raising the volume to above average volume caused the speakers to distort. The Onkyo Lsv925, discontinued predecessor, was superior despite not being progressive. W/i 5 minutes i gave it a thumbs down.

Eric Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. That's dissapointing to hear. Any suggestions on a good entry-level HTiB? I've heard that the Pioneer HTS-910DV is good, but I've also heard that it is much better at playing DVD's than CD's. My primary use would be DVD's, but it would be nice if I could play music CD's just as well.

Michael Malonzo

Auditioning
For a thousand dollars you are probably better off getting an inexpensive receiver and a 5.1 speaker package. You could try the Denon 1603 (~$350) and the Energy Take 5.2 with sub (~$650).

If you definitely want a HTIB be sure to check out the Onkyo HT-S650. It can be found at brick and mortar stores like Circuit City and The Wiz for ~$450. I think this system is underpriced and an excellent value.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
In the HTIB arena, you might also want to add the Denon DHT-683XP to your audition list. It should be in stores in September. Check out the specs HERE.
Good luck in your search,
Jeff

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
In the HTIB arena, you might also want to add the Denon DHT-683XP to your audition list. It should be in stores in September. Check out the specs HERE.
Good luck in your search,
Jeff

Michael Malonzo

Auditioning
Eric,

Unfortunately I have not tried Pearl Harbor or JPIII on the Onkyo HT-S650. This problem is not manufacturer specific. I've heard stories of audio dropouts with Denon, Outlaw and Kenwood as well.

You can always play either DVD in DTS mode so this shouldn't be an issue.

Michael

Eric Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot Michael and the rest of you guys. I think i'm gonna go for the Onkyo S650 this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks