Onkyo LS-V950 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Franklin, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Eric Franklin

Eric Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone. I hope I'm posting in the correct place, if not please forgive me.

I am new to home theatre audio and would like purchase a HTiB. A friend recommended the Onkyo LS-V950, but I'd like a few more opinions before I put down 1000 bucks. So, does anyone have any opinions on this system?

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Yes, I set this up 2 days ago. It blows.
    Now let me explain my juvenile comment. The speakers can handle barely any volume at all. It retails for about a grand and has a good receiver and a good subwoofer. However simply raising the volume to above average volume caused the speakers to distort. The Onkyo Lsv925, discontinued predecessor, was superior despite not being progressive. W/i 5 minutes i gave it a thumbs down.

3. Eric Franklin

Thanks for the reply. That's dissapointing to hear. Any suggestions on a good entry-level HTiB? I've heard that the Pioneer HTS-910DV is good, but I've also heard that it is much better at playing DVD's than CD's. My primary use would be DVD's, but it would be nice if I could play music CD's just as well.

4. Michael Malonzo

Michael Malonzo Auditioning

For a thousand dollars you are probably better off getting an inexpensive receiver and a 5.1 speaker package. You could try the Denon 1603 (~$350) and the Energy Take 5.2 with sub (~$650).

If you definitely want a HTIB be sure to check out the Onkyo HT-S650. It can be found at brick and mortar stores like Circuit City and The Wiz for ~$450. I think this system is underpriced and an excellent value.

5. Eric Franklin

Michael, do you know if the receiver included with the Onkyo S650 has problems with Dolby 5.1 on certain DVD's such as Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park 3? Onkyo's site http://www.onkyousa.com/article_top.cfm?id=21 says that there is a problem with some of their receivers, but they don't specify which ones.

6. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

In the HTIB arena, you might also want to add the Denon DHT-683XP to your audition list. It should be in stores in September. Check out the specs HERE.
    Good luck in your search,
    Jeff

7. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

In the HTIB arena, you might also want to add the Denon DHT-683XP to your audition list. It should be in stores in September. Check out the specs HERE.
    Good luck in your search,
    Jeff

8. Michael Malonzo

Michael Malonzo Auditioning

Eric,

Unfortunately I have not tried Pearl Harbor or JPIII on the Onkyo HT-S650. This problem is not manufacturer specific. I've heard stories of audio dropouts with Denon, Outlaw and Kenwood as well.

You can always play either DVD in DTS mode so this shouldn't be an issue.

Michael

9. Eric Franklin

Thanks a lot Michael and the rest of you guys. I think i'm gonna go for the Onkyo S650 this weekend.