Onkyo Integra or Onkyo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Should I get an Integra 6.2 or an Onkyo 696? Hometheaterhifi said that the 6.2 has a bigger power supply. Also, does the 6.2 have the same clicking problems the 696 has? I personally love the look of Integra, but if it worth the extra bucks? Also, there is no Integra dealer in my area, I would have to buy over the net, hwo is the reliability on those things?

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I have the Integra 6.2 and I love it. It is very similiar to the Onkyo 696, but I do believe the power supply and capacitors are of bigger and better quality (I know from looking inside the Integra that the power supply capacitors are Integra branded, as is the power supply itself). In addition, the RCA connectors on the rear of the unit are gold plated, where I do not think the Onkyo's are. I think there may be some other little things that make the Integra seem to be the more "hi-end" piece. The Integra's warranty is 3 years, and I think the Onkyo's is only 2.

As far as the sound quality between the two, I couldn't tell you since I only have heard the Integra. It is very possible that they may sound identical, if not the same.

It would seem that you might be out of luck in being able to purchase the Integra on-line or mail order. Integra, as far as I know, is only sold by authorized dealers and Onkyo does not allow for on-line or mail order on this brand. It would appear you would have to go the Brick and Mortar route to purchase the 6.2. On the other hand, the Onkyo piece can be bought mail order, and is probably discounted more heavily than the Integra piece.

To answer you question on the clicking - I posted in another thead that it is not a problem, but an electronic relay that switches on and off depending on whether it is switching on DD, DTS or DPL2 processing. The unit will auto sense the incoming signal, when it is in the digital domain, and automatically switch to process it correctly - hence the need for the electronic relay switch. That is what causes the little click - which is not heard from the speakers, but from the unit itself. To be honest, this is not a problem, and shouldn't be viewed as such. My Technics DVD-A10 makes a similiar clicking noise when playing DVD-Audio discs, because of the internal relay that switches on the DVD-Audio processing function.

3. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Kyle,

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I'm beginning to think the clicking on layer changes problem is solely based on how the DVD player itself handles the layer change (i.e. if it introduces a pause in the bitstream or goes null for a second). I've got the 595, and I've heard people mention the click during layer changes for that receiver as well... but not a single person who has the same DVD player as me (Panny RV-31) has complained. Yes, it clicks when it detects a different type of data (DPL, DD, DTS), but never during layer changes. I can't imagine the detection on the 696 being much different, unless they've decreased the delay time for bitstream detection.

It'd be interesting to see what DVD players are being used with the 696 that are causing this problem.

5. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Matthew,

I have not seen anyone else post this problem but you. Did you try out more than one 696? The person you talked to a tech support either misunderstood you or misinformed you according to the person I talked to today. There should be an audible click when the 696 senses a audio format change, but the tech confirmed that the audio format should not change during a movie unless you manually change it. Therefore the tech said the 696 should NOT click during the movie or during layer changes. It is rumour that the 696 has a clicking problem until more then one person reports it. You might have had a problem with your unit, but the 696 in general does not. If other people also report hearing clicks during a movie and at layer changes, I will apologize to you and Kyle.

BTW, I have two friends that also own this unit and don't have this "problem".

Jeremy,

I also own a Panasonic RV-31. My friends own a Sony 550D and a Toshiba 4700.

David

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I agree that the clicking problem appears isolated and not an inherent problem with all 696's. For the record, I have a Toshiba 4700 DVD and have never had a problem with clicking. Frankly, I'd like to find out how many 595, 696, and 797 either have or don't have a problem with this. Anyone???

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

And, by the way, Kyle, you keep on posting like this problem is a big one with the 696's. Can you name for me how many different posters you've seen that have this receiver and said they were having this problem? If it is just one or two, you might consider giving it a rest. Have you read what David has posted numerous times in response to what you've written??? JMHO.

8. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I know there have been at least 10 or 12 people who have said that, and over at audioreview.com, 696 owners are mentioning the same thing. I am just worried, I live in Hawaii, and if I were to purchase a 696 it would be over the internet, the Only Onkyo retailers in my area will not deviate from the MSRP[​IMG] so I would be forced to buy from onecall.com, an authorized e-tailer, but if something goes wrong, I will have to pay about $75-100 shipping back to onecall, which would mean it was basically not worth it. Thank you all for your help though.

9. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Kyle,
    If you could point me to the comments from these 10-12 people I'd be interested in reading them.
    The Onkyo 696 reviews at AudioReview has one negative review which involves clicking. I find it interesting that the reviewer, who is from New York, wrote:
    "Had this receiver for two weeks. Was initially very impressed with the sound quality, especially on 2 channel stereo.
    But on DVDs (using digital cable), it made an annoying "click" every time its auto detection circuitry sensed a bitstream change. This was so annoying and called attention to the layer switch which otherwise had been barely noticeable. Then I began to realize that these "clicks" were accompanied by a momentary loss of audio.
    To top things off, the 696 clipped very badly using DPLII on some bass-heavy music CDs. Instead of bass, I heard some very loud crackling noises.
    Back it went!"
    That sounds EXACTLY like what Matthew (who is also from New York) wrote in your first thread. The person at AudioReview also lists the Yamaha RX-V1000 under similar products used, which is what Matthew replaced the defective 696 with. Sounds like the same person to me, but it could just be a coincidence.
    I don't want anyone (especially Matthew) to think I'm doubting that he had a problem. I just haven't read about anyone else with the problem. None of these reviews mention the problem either:
    Gary Raskin - 787 (scroll down the page to see the review)
    Sound & Vision - 696
    Epinions - 696
    David

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have a very old Onkyo Integra (back in the day they used both names) TX-SV919THX receiver. It also has relays that click when changing between sources and sometimes during layer changes depending on which external decoder I'm using.

It's normal and is not a problem to me, if it annoys you then so be it, don't buy one.

11. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

For the record, I own the 595 and have a Sony DVP 550D... no clicks during the layer changes.

12. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I agree with Jeremy. The clicking on layer changes is likely a problem with the DVD player where the bitstream output momentarily fails to maintain the DD or DTS flag.

I have a 595 and a Toshiba 1600 DVD player. No clicks during layer changes.

13. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I also own an older Integra model, the DTR-7. This one was the analog to the Onkyo 777. I understand what you mean about the clicks, but for me these only take place when I'm changing between stereo, direct, or DD, etc. I use a Toshiba 2200 DVD player for movies, and during layer transitions it does lose the audio for a second as the bitstream is cut, and then detected again, but this is not accompanied by a "click". This information may be irrelevant to the potential buyer of the 696, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

For the record, this post is not intended to antagonize Matthew D, but instead to reassure Kyle as a potential Onkyo buyer that many units may not have this problem, if that's what it is.

14. Chris Moffitt

I'm gonna jump in here with my 2 cents. I have a completely different system - Marantz with a Pioneer DV-525 DVD player and also notice clicks/pops in certain instances. At first I thought it was solely my Marantz, now I'm thinking it's partially the Pioneer DVD player. It only happens with digital inputs in my case. I do know that my Marantz has some issues which I'm working through, but my point is that I believe the digital source can play a role in whether or not there are problems with layer switching which might cause these noises.

15. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Well, it is reassuring to know that it is a sound coming from the RECEIVER, I originally thought it was coming from the speakers. If it is only from the receiver, then it can't be that loud. My equipment is in a rack with doors, so primarily, I won't be able to hear it, I think. If I leave the doors open however, I can ocaisionally hear my DVD player working. Now the question just becomes whther I should buy a 696, 6.2 or Denon 2802! I make that a later post[​IMG]

16. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo 595 with Panasonic RV 31, no clicks during layer changes.

Nick