onkyo hts770 or hts777...Any thoughts about quailty and performance?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Luc-8, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Luc-8

Luc-8 Auditioning

I'm new to this whole world of a/v and love it. I'm looking into buying my first system and would like to go with a htib setup for ease of use and price for now. I've done some research and found a lot of people like Onkyo's hts770 or hts777 w/ dvd player. Any comments or advice regarding these systems or any others close to the price range would be great!

Thanks in advance

2. Luc-8

Luc-8 Auditioning

I'm new to this whole world of a/v and love it. I'm looking into buying my first system and would like to go with a htib setup for ease of use and price for now. I've done some research and found a lot of people like Onkyo's hts770 or hts777 w/ dvd player. Any comments or advice regarding these systems or any others close to the price range would be great!

Thanks in advance

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Here's where you want to post your question. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not for seeking specific model advice.

Welcome to HTF, and good luck in finding a player.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Here's where you want to post your question. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not for seeking specific model advice.

Welcome to HTF, and good luck in finding a player.

5. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

bump for comments.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I've heard good things about Onkyo's hts770 and if I were going htib I would go this route. You can also get a refurb Onk like the 502, which is a good little entry unit from JandR.com for something like $149 and a bunch of jbl speakers (like the e10,20,30, and ec25or ec35 center) for a great price with shipping included. My cousin did the latter with a few of these speakers and his system is great. He went out and got a PE dayton sub, referred to hear as the Tiny Mighty. Do a search for more info on this. But the price for the 770 might be great and a lot of folks who get this are pretty happy with it. Good luck.

7. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

great, thanks for the opinion. I'm still deciding myself if i should piece everything together (which i'm sure most of you will recommend) or just go with the onkyo Htib route just for ease of use.

8. John S

John S Producer

The 770 system, isn't really any easier to use. It really is just a full AVR, with speakers and a sub. What it really does, is allow a certain quality for the least cost. Even if you say decide to upgrade the speakers or the sub down the road. You will probably spen less money in total than if you had pieced on together.

9. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

So say down the road i wanted to upgrade my speakers, and keep the receiver, i could do this right? Is the receiver in this package a good receiver in the long run, as far as keeping up with the pace of techonology. (will it service my needs without being outdated too soon?) (haha, i said, "service my needs" ) [​IMG] it seems like a really good deal, but i dont want to get stuck with a cheap sounding system.

10. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

the receiver is decent. I am going to upgrade my receiver that came with my HTiB because I really don't like the spring clamps as I find they come undone to easily and I want something with a bit more quality behind it.

11. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

So i decided to go with the Onkyo hts 770 and i have to say that i am very very pleased with this setup. for the first time i'm actually enjoying true 5.1 surround sound and its great. the speakers sound awesome and the bass is full. i wish i could take turn this thing up so i could experience its full volume and sound, but unfortunately i live in an apartment complex. i have to say though that i'm very happy with the decision i made. Now i just need to tweak the way my speakers are setup to get the best HT experience possible.

12. John S

John S Producer

Good to hear you like it. I'm always afraid to make suggestions. But for the average person I encounter, the system has always been beyond what most expected or really neaded for the money spent.

13. AdamTom

AdamTom Extra

John, yeh i'm blown away by the system. it has to be the best bang for the buck right now and *for right now* fulfills all my HT needs. my only complaint is its kinda big and stands out. kinda stands out in my living room area, ya know, especially since its so small to begin with.