What's new

Onkyo HTIB vs. Separates System for Large Room (+Pic) (1 Viewer)

mak124

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hello, I'm having a tough time to decide between these two options. I'm looking to get a 7.1 system for my entertainment room. It's rather large, 15x25 feet with 10ft ceilings, and a lot of open doorways. So I'm assuming I'd need 7.1 sound to really fill the room with sound. I watch bluray and listen to all sorts of music equally. My budget is less than $1000. The less the better. The two options: I've found a factory-refurbished Onkyo HT-S9300THX for $650 +$100 shipping ~~ $750 My question would be whether this system and it's speakers would be good enough to fill the large room with sound. The other option I was looking at was to buy separates. After researching for quality budget speaker packages, I came across Fluance, which I've heard rave reviews about from various online sources. Fluance SXHTB+ ~ $300 2 extra Fluance satellites for 7.1 ~ $80 Subwoofer (Fluance DB200 or Polk PSW125)~ $250 Total + Shipping ~~ $760 But then I'd also have to get an AV receiver too. So that'd be about $300-$400 for a good midrange one (e.g. Pioneer or Denon). Now I'm leaning more towards the onkyo, simply from a price standpoint, and the fact that's everything's included. I'm not in a position where I want to start small and slowly upgrade to a full 7.1 system. I need this all done at once. So would it really be that worth it to go for a budget separates system over the onkyo HTIB? I'm not much of an audiophile but I can tell and appreciate high quality audio. (my previous system was an old sony 5.1 htib in a very small 10x10 room) Here is a pic of the room. Once again the dimensions are 15x25' with 10' ceilings. (The TV is mounted to the top wall in the diagram. And the open doorways are marked) Any thoughts about the planned set-up? The towers won't be scrunched in the corners like that.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Your budget puts you pretty sqarely in the "gray" area of HTiB or separates. I feel your pain.

Separates will always get you a better system. I think just about anyone on this forum would agree with that. The Onkyo systems are good, but at that price point, you're just a hair shy of a system that would really rock.

Of your speaker selection, the only thing I would offer input on is the subwoofer options. I would take the Polk out of consideration. Polk makes decent speakers, but their subs are average at best. Certainly, IMO, not worth $250, when a much better alternative can be had for $285 (with HTF 15% discount) - the 12" model from Lava. Alternativly, you can consider the 10" model that would fit into your established budget.

Don't skimp on the subwoofer. That one speaker, IMO, is the most effective way to make a system sound "bigger". With your large room, it will be necessary, too.

On the receiver side, a good option would be a factory refurb Onkyo 608 for $300 from Accessories4Less. They include a 1 year manufacturer warranty. They have additional options, too at great prices.

If budget is a real concern, and the $1000 is a strong cap - perhaps you could reconsider starting off with 7.1. Yes, it can be effective in filling a room, but I think your system will benefit more if you take the $80 from those back surround speakers and funnel it into the subwoofer/receiver combo. It's easy to add the rear surrounds later.

Good luck with the system!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Avoid the Fluance sub, too. It's boomy, mushy, one note garbage (later I'll tell you how I really feel :D ). I heard one at a friends house and as you can tell, I was not impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks