What's new

Onkyo HTIB Suggestions for speakers/wire? (1 Viewer)

Skunk

Grip
Real Name
Noble Smith
Hello all..I have an Onkyo HT-S4100 HTIB, and would like to upgrade the speakers and wiring. (If only I knew then what I know now) I really don't want to spend a TON of money, but if the results would be NOTICEABLE and worth it, I will. I would sincerely appreciate ANY input you "guys" have, you know more about this stuff than I. What is a good speaker package to get, that would compliment what I have. I'm really struggling with this...I don't want to be sitting here listening to something that with a little (well, probably a lot) extra money spent would make a big difference. Can anyone tell me what THEY would do, price within reason, if they had this system.I feel like I'm not getting the best sound I could be with what I have. Thanks a lot in advance...It's GREATLY appreciated. Any info anyone has (best wire guage etc, I'm thinking 16 or 18..mine are 22 I think)
Again...THANK YOU!!!

Skunk

Grip
Real Name
Noble Smith
I don't know what I'm doing here with this forum (obviously!) The speakers that came with it (Onkyo HT-S4100) are 6 ohm, and the wire guage is, I think, 22.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Noble,

How much do you have to spend on the speakers? Are you looking to replace subwoofer too (recommend if you are still using the one that came with the system)?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot, and get a spool of 12 or 14 gauge wire. I use their 14 awg wire, and it works great. A 100 ft. spool is only about $25. You definitely don't need expensive wire...........

As for speakers, different people will tell you different speakers. Go listen to as many different brands and models as you can. Then get what sounded good to you. If I get to where I can buy all new speakers, I'll probably get these: SVSound - MTS Family of Speakers
They also make some cheaper ones that sound good. See them here:
SVSound - Speakers
The only place to buy these are online, but they have an excellent return policy, in case you don't like them. Most folks already know they make one of the best subwoofers you can buy.
Good luck!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
16 is the smallest I'd use. 12-14 is better but probably not needed. BlueJeans cables and Monoprice.com are good places to get in-expensive but decent quality wires. The bulk wire at Home Depot is also popular.

Wow. Three responses in 7 minutes.

Skunk

Grip
Real Name
Noble Smith
I can probably, and this is stretching it, do about $200.00 or so. Thats kind of dumb though, since it's about what i paid for the whole HTIB! (300 bucks) I don't know, if it would be worth it it though, I'd fork over a fair amount of money..I just don't know where to start...so MANY brands sound like they're so good, but I hate to spend so much on speakers that my reciever starts to seem inadequate..if that makes ANY sense! If a get some GOOD speakers, I can see myself wanting a better..well, everything else! I just want something in a reasonable price range that would compliment what I have..
OH..and I am planning on using another sub. Fortunately I have 2 good ones I'm not using right now to choose from. -Hopefully I made sense!

Skunk

Grip
Real Name
Noble Smith
Thanks A LOT for the help everybody..I'm kinda screwed in the sense that I'm disabled and live in the "boonies". I know the WISE thing to do is go and LISTEN to speakers, but that's kinda hard to do.. and I trust your opinions (usually!) with this stuff...
I'll take it all into consideration, and again, THANKS for your time...

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
One more thing
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Are floorstanders OK?

For $200 you won't find many great sounding speakers. But, you can do better than the ones that came with your HTiB. If you could stretch the budget to $299, I suggest you look at these: Fluance SXHTB+ 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System

I honestly have not found anything that comes close to these at that price. They have a 30 day return policy if you decide you do not like them.

Keep in mind that speakers are a very personal item. What I like may not be what you like. However, at this price point your options are somewhat limited.

Skunk

Grip
Real Name
Noble Smith
Again, thanks. Yeah, I could go to around 300 bucks, but again, I wanna know it's worth it. I don't want to spend a lot for a slight difference. I want to get a really noticeable difference. I realize with what I have already, and the small budget I have that I can't expect miracles, but it seems to me that I could do better with what i have...I feel kind of dumb even bringing this up! I wish I could have the quality of gear you guys have, but it's just not "in the cards" (or wallet I should say) The keyword to me is NOTICEABLE improvement, a "wow, I'm glad I did this!" kinda thing. I just have to think that even though I can't spend a TON of money, there has to be better than what I have...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Another option would be two pair of these, Energy C-50 and one of these, Energy CC-50. Both come from TheAudioAdvisor but if you order the C-50's thru Amazon they come with free shipping. The CC-50 center is $89 for the black one and $69 for the cherry one plus shipping. The 5 all together would be around $250 shipped. These are very good speakers for the price but they are a bit "dark" or, as another member put it, "muffled" sounding. In other words, the opposite of bright or harsh. But the Fluance speakers look hard to beat for that price.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm sure you will notice a difference. I have a Pioneer HTiB for comparison. The Fluance package I owned was noticeably better. I had them paired with a 8" Velodyne sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks