What's new

Onkyo HT-s9400THX (1 Viewer)

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
ok so my front left speaker crackles as volumes 55 to 60 it does it also when i play battlefield 3 on the 360. so i switched inputed and it still does it i checked everything HDMI cant be the board, speaker wires, speaker port. nothing its the speaker itself and thanks to UPS my package came in messed up again. im going to start taking pictures. UPS needs to start treating things alot better wtf is their problem. anyways i have to send it allllllllllllllllllllllllllll back because of this one speaker while everything else is fine. OMFG! 3 times IN A ROW and its not neweggs fault its UPS's. this is getting VERY VERY annoying and frustrating i cant believe im going threw all this. i feel like giving up. but i want my sound system. has any ever gone threw this sort of thing. omg. anyways anyone know where i could find a sale on speaker wires 14 gauge. thanks let me know post some links.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Now I kind of feel like a heel for recommending it :( .
But I've been recommending that system as a refurb from ac4l.com for a few years now, much to the dismay of most other members around here, and so far no complaints that I know of. The speakers/subwoofer are much better than what comes in the typical Onkyo htib and I still think it's tough to put together a seperates based system for the same money ($599). Shame about the damage caused by UPS. Like I said, the same people at UPS are going to be the ones throwing it around no matter how many times you try. I use/request FedEx Ground whenever possible. I've just had better luck with them. You can also request that they hold it at the local hub for pick-up by you. That will at least remove the final destination driver and related handling (no offense :) ).

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
ok it arrived again this one looks the best out of all of them. so here goes nothing now time to update the firmware and then connect everything and test everything out i got the wire. wish me luck. ill be back to let you all know how it went... crosses fingers.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
ok it arrived again this one looks the best out of all of them. so here goes nothing now time to update the firmware and then connect everything and test everything out i got the wire. wish me luck. ill be back to let you all know how it went... crosses fingers.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
ok so im happy to say it finally works every single thing. now i get to just sit back relax and enjoy my videogames and movies the way they were meant to be heard... anyone got any pointers on what i should leave it on as for sound? all ch stereo. cause when i go to like thx game or movie it sounds so low...maybe i have to adjust some things but i am very very very VERY!!!!!! happy with this system. im hearing things i never heard before LOL its amazing. if anyone got any settings let me know also my room is 12 x 13. anyways thanks alot everyone for your help i really really appreciate it and i will be coming back if i ever run into anything i cant handle. or just to read peoples stuff on building systems or anything of the sort anything interesting.
Thank you HTF community for all the help. take care all of you.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm glad to hear you got it all in one piece. This sytem really does sound better than most people think. I heard the 9300 at someones house a few years ago and was surprised at how good it sounded.
To really get the most out of it you have to take the time to set it all up properly. First, you need to assign the Inputs or hook everything up to the Default inputs (you've probably already done this). Then you need to position the speakers and subwoofer properly (again, maybe already done). Then set the settings on the subwoofer. Put the volume, or gain, control, to the middle position, set the Phase to "0" and the crossover to it's highest setting (180?). You may not have all, or any, of these settings but I couldn't find a picture of the back of the sub.
Then, run the Audyssey automatic room correction feature. You need to make sure the mic is positioned correctly and the room is whisper quiet. After it's through you can check the settings it came up with and then go into the speaker setup menu and change the speaker settings from Full Range to a crossover setting of 80 or 100, whichever sounds best to you.
You then have to set the Audio menu settings. These can range from different modes for each input to setting the parameters for Dolby ProLogic and DTS, things like Panorama and Center Width.
Most people choose whatever sound mode the recording/game/tv was originally recorded in. They play a stereo cd in stereo, a 5.1 movie in 5.1 etc. but some like Dolby ProLogic/DTS Neo:6 for stereo sources. The fake surround modes are usually ignored but they're all based on and work off ProLogic (I think so anyway). Most do sound gimmiky to me but we're all different.
And as I said earlier, get a surge protector for the receiver and subwoofer.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
alot of this stuff it has but the subwoofer only has 1 nob on the back has a thx line and then to put it all the way up if you want ill take pictures of whatever you need me to and you can help me out like that. let me know ill be back in half hour to 2 hours going to handle something.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If it only has one knob then that's the volume knob, also known as the Gain control knob. Just set it half way to start. If it's set too low or too high then you will get an error message from Audyssey.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
here is a few pictures from the sub and the different menu's. thats my phone camera so sorry for quality.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkwilsin666/

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've got the Integra back in place. Like I said, Integra and Onkyo are basically the same thing, they have exactly the same menu layout but there will be slight variations in the features of each receiver. But I can't find any way to make the THX Game or Movie settings to sound any lower than anything else. I tried playing with the Audio setup menu, the Source setup menu and everything else I could think of. The only thing I noticed is with THX Game there seemed to be more of the signal going to the center speaker then in most of the other modes so check the volume level of the center speaker. Other than that I have no idea why it's happenning to you. FWIW, I liked Dolby Game better anyway but prefer DTS Neo:6 for movies and music. THX is well known to the general public but mostly ignored by the rest of us.
That receiver has many, many features and settings which is why Onkyo receivers are so popular. You get a lot for your money. The most important thing is to setup and calibrate everything properly. This means making sure the other components and the speakers/subwoofer are connected to the receiver correctly and that the speaker sizes, distances, volumes and crossovers are set correctly. You also have to make the correct choices in the other components connected to the receiver. The cable/satellite box needs to have Dolby Digital turned on and the dvd/bluray player needs to be set to Auo or Bitstream.
The longer you have this thing the clearer things will become. Re-read the manual agian in a couple of weeks. Things that seemed foggy today will seem much clearer next week.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
Ok will do. and yeah thx sounds mostly come from the center. ill see what happens and ill try dts neo 6 for movies see how it sounds. thanks alot gonna start messing with everything.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
ok need my rears and sides to be louder so i can hear people or things creeping up behind me SO. where do i go to fix that level calibration speaker distance and i do not know how to mess with the equalizer it has talks about 63Hz,250,1000,4000,and 16000 i do not know what they mean or what they do so if anyone can help me out please do. if anything if you need my aim so we can do this simple and fast. let me know or PM me. thanks in advance again im just trying to get this sounding GREAT! real GREAT.
again i have the HT-s9400 THX onkyo receiver is the HT-R990 anyways thanks for any help take care i will be back tomorrow or later tonight to check it out.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
so what does anyone recommend i put the Db's at let me measure my room...15X15. and all my speakers are hanged up above head level and hearing level but aimed downwards. center is under my moniter. and subwoofer is at my right side 1 1/2 away form one wall and 4 3/4 away from the other. well give me some db recommendations also i borrowed a sound level meter PSP01 brand is Pyle i dont know how that works exactly but my friend said you pro;s should know what it does and if it can help me out. thanks ill be here online for the meantime maybe till 8 or 9pm eastern time United states NYC. thanks for any help

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't know anything about the Pyle sound level meter, most of us use a Radio Shack model.
I think 75 decibles is the recommended reading on the meter.
http://www.aperionaudio.com/connect/how-to-use-your-spl-meter/

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by DarkWilSin /t/323471/onkyo-ht-s9400thx/30#post_3986470
all my speakers are hanged up above head level and hearing level but aimed downwards. center is under my moniter.

Any chance you can move the front L/R speakers down to a level closer to the monitor/center channel? The front soundstage is pretty critical for home theater - sounds frequently pan across all three speakers - and if the mains are significantly higher up than the center, you're likely to get some odd-sounding results.

Surrounds and rear surrounds are fine if they're higher - they provide ambience more often than directional effects, so no huge loss.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
i will try and lower them but i have nowhere to put them on evenly but ill see what i can think of. and thanks for the sound meter i will do that.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
finally got it sounding the way i want it to now im just missing the BOOM effect from the speakers and the Subwoofer. so far so good. also i had to turn the PS3 to bitstream now the system shows its doing HD DTS and all that other stuff before it was just showing multichannel and it did not sound that great. so any settings for the treble and Bass on speakers and what should i put the subwoofer at?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks