What's new

Onkyo HT-S9300THX (1 Viewer)

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Have anyone experienced Onkyo's latest HT-S9300THX HTiB. 7.1 channel

I saw its review on CNET and ZDNET and they praised it like anything.. I would like to know if its really a great system to buy (Considering $899 price) or I can have a better component based system in the same price ratio.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Generally speaking, if you are going to get an HTiB, then Onkyo is the way to go. But if you are willing to spend close to $1000 for it, then you can do much better getting an AVR and speakers separately.

Give us an idea what you want (and how much you can spend) and we can point you in the right direction.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
I am looking for following features and am willing to spend upto $900.

1. 1000-1200 W of power

2. 7.1 Channels

3. Amp features like Audyssey Equalizers and auto calibration, lossless audio (Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio), 3D compatibility

4. I read THX site and its really good to have one with THX certification. Loudness Plus technology and Studio edited comparable sound are my favorite features from THX

5. around 4 HDMI inputs will work fine with me.'

6. a good upscaling capability for DVDs.

7. Manual Equalizers so that I can set speaker's frequency range manually as per my needs. (more bass, clear center channel dialogue delivery sound)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A few points first...

1. Don't buy a system based on the watts. Watts is a marketers dream - they print in big numbers on the front of the box enticing the uniformed.
4. THX is not a reason to purchase either. It doesn't hurt, but there are many GREAT receivers that are not THX certified. Loudness Plus can be handled by other technology (Audyssey, for example).

7. Manual EQ will override the Auto EQ. Its one or the other, you can't have both (at least with Audyssey).

Okay, for $900 here's what I would do:

Onkyo TX-SR508 - $250

Fluance SXHTB+ - $300

BIC F-12 Sub - $215

Speaker wire, HDMI, and any other cables you need from monoprice.com: less than $25

Be sure to stick around, I'm sure you will get other suggestions.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I agree with Dave's "aside" points, and will add that upscaling in a receiver, particularly one at that price point, should not be considered a driver as the DVD/Bluray player will likely do as good of a job.

I also concur with the Onkyo 508 (I have the 505). No speaker recos. But stay away from Polk subs at the low end.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Thanks..

I saw Fluance SX HTB and it really looks great.. apart from that, I have also seen all positive reviews for this speakers. However CNET states that if you are spending 800-1000 dollars then do not compare Fluance SX HTB because it sounds great compared to its price range of les than $300. What does it mean... as compared to $800 Onkyo 930 THX.

Further Let me explain you my findings if I am going for component based system.

1. If its component based system, I would buy Onkyo R-608 and that costs $400. (no offense to R-508 however I am somehow inclined towards R-608)

2. I would prefer 7.1 channels instead of 5 so in the case of Fluance, I will also need to buy two more speakers that cost $80 collectively so Fluance 7.0 speakers thus become a $300 + $80 + $70 (Shipping) = $450 deal
3. I am good with the sub you suggested and that costs $215.

So total cost of this system is coming around $1065 and that is exceeding my price budget by $250-$300.

I know and I understand that Fluance speakers may sound better than what I have with Onkyo 9300THX system however I need to know if it is worth spending $300 more.. is the difference worth it...

I am not looking for going step by step.. I mean buying 5.0 for now.. and then buying two more speakers in 6 months or 1 year down the line. My wife would not prefer that and you know i cannot ignore her suggestions :-D

Can you please guide. ( I know I mentioned upto $900 as my budget and that was based on Onkyo 9300 THX price and I was struggling to find some deals on that and now I can get one in $800)

One more question: You said THX certification should not be a driving point... I am trying to understand it.. THX says they run over 2000 tests to pass a system a THX certified system. Do you mean to say this all does not matter at all ?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
We can't really tell you if the difference is "worth" the extra money. Only you can decide that for yourself.

The Onkyo HTiB systems are good, but when you start looking at systems like the 9300 that are close to $1000, you're reaching the "gray" area where the improved performance you will get going with separates is very likely to be worth the slight increase in price.

For folks with smaller budgets (like $500 or under) the benefit of the HTiB systems (like the 5300 and 6300) is readily apparant - you can't get any separate systems for anywhere near that price point.

Secondly, if this is pushing your budget too high, then skip the extra two speakers for 7.1 at this point. Really, there is little benefit to going 7.1 as there is VERY LITTLE native 7.1 program material out there. 5.1 will work just fine.

As for the THX certification - I agree with David. It's not worth the price premium. What David was driving at is that receiver manufacturers have to pay THX to certify the gear and to have their logo stamped on the front of the device. That cost is passed along to the consumer. There are MANY receiver out there that would meet or exceed the THX standards, but they simply opted not to pay THX for the certification.

It's like having a car "Certified" to drive at speeds in excess of 80mph. Does that mean any car not certified can't drive over 80mph? Of course not. With THX certification on receivers, you're paying extra for a label on the front. Not worth it for receivers, IMO.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Vishal,

1. The difference between the 508 and 608 is not that great. Is there a feature you want on the 608? Either one is similar to the one you would get with the 930.

2. Make sure you have the room for 7.1. With 7.1, you have rear speakers in addition to the sides. The rears should be placed at least a few feet behind you. If you listening position is against a wall, then 7.1 does not work well. Plus, most (if not all) movies start as 5.1. A few are re-mixed to 7.1 for bluray. Here's a good guide for speaker placement from Dolby.

There are many excellent receivers that are every bit as good as a THX certified receiver. The manufacturer just chooses to not pay for the certification. As long as you stick with reputable brands like the ones we mention on this site, you are fine. Plus, THX doesn't always guarantee quality. For example, my receiver is THX Select certified. Part of that certification is the ability to use 4 ohm speakers. I know for certain if I had 4 ohm speakers my receiver would over heat and shut down.

Bottom line is don't get too caught up in labels. Sure there's nothing wrong with having THX gear, it's just not a big enough reason to choose one brand over another.

In the end it is up to you. I'm sure the Onkyo HTiB would be fine as well. The speakers are not the worst and it does come with a powered sub (most HTiBs do not). Plus you get a "real" receiver with the Onkyo.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
I understand your point about THX.
Yes I have enough room for settting up 7.1 channel speakers.

Can I have additional information about if I could get a 7.1 (OR 7.0) channel speakers other than the Fluance brand. I have been reading its review and its a 50-50 kind of a deal.. some says its good for the price and some says -ve things about center channel delivery etc etc... You know you cannot conclude once you are in doubt.

I am really looking forward to setup a component based system and Onkyo receiver is a decision but I am still struggling with speakers... do we have a set of 7 channel speakers in a price range of $400 that actually beats what is delivered by Onkyo 9300THX speakers. I know there are lot better speakers than what is delivered by 9300THX however they exceed my price range.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Getting a 7.1 speaker system with the Onkyo 608 for $800 would be a real struggle. You would have to get real lucky and catch a name brand on close-out like the Jamo's Vanns.com was dumping about 6 monthe ago.

As for the speakers in the 9300, they are far better than the speakers in most Onkyo htib's. In fact, even though I usually don't pay much attention to this THX stuff either I do remember reading in a magazine a few years back where THX actually helped Onkyo design the speakers in the 9100 system to ensure thay would meet the THX requirements. But I would have no idea how they would compare to the Fluance as I have only heard the 9300 at Fry's and I've never auditioned the Fluance. But I trust the opinions of those around here who have.

pinkjosh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vishal
Thanks

So thats what I have been struggling with.. I have two firm decisions that I will have an Onkyo receiver and secondly I will have 7.1 channels speakers system. Further RnD from my side will be based on these two decisions. I will be open to see and probably buy the speakers system other than Onkyo if they sounds better than 9300 in the price range that 9300 has to offer. Onkyo 9300 cost $800 so I am assuming their speakers set to be a $400 (aprox) speakers if I would buy separately.. (I know they are not available separately). Now the question is: Am I getting better quality speakers in $400 that sounds better than 9300. (7.1 channels) .. I would request other opinions on this question.

By the way Gene C, you said you heard 9300 .. what is your opinion about 9300 speakers.. how would you rate them personally.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As I said, I heard them in Fry's where they were all bunched together making any serious audition impossible. The quality of the cabinets and drivers appeared to be much better than the other Onkyo speakers available today. Even though I couldn't listen to them in a proper environment you would be hard pressed to find a 7.1 speaker package for around $400 like this one, but it wouldn't be impossible. But you would have to be real lucky. Example: Here's an Onkyo 508 and Jamo 426 speaker package from TigerDirect.com for only $449 + shipping. You would need to find/add a sub woofer and two more speakers for the Back Surrounds. I haven't heard those Jamo's but it's another option to consider. I suspect they would have the same deficiencies as the Fluance speakers, a somewhat weak center channel (that's the only criticism I've really heard about Fluance considering their price).

Here's the HT-540/7.1 Onkyo speaker system from the old HT-800 htib. It's currently $349 on Onkyo's website and I've seen it for less than that. Ac4l.com has the refurb one for $169 + sh. But It's not as good as the 9300's. BTW, Ac4l.com carries the factory refurbished Onkyo-9300/refurb for $549 + sh but alas, it's currently sold out . Try ebay and some of the internet shopping comparison sites like Pricegrabber.com.

dexter419

Auditioning
Real Name
Shannon
Long time reader, first time poster. I am also looking at the Onkyo 9300THX but now they have the 9400 only as they have discontinued the 9300. Looks the same, but the sub is weaker. I saw the recommendations ofr a system and was hoping to get a frsh perspective as it has been a few months since that post. I am lookig at spending around $1000 total. Please assist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks