What's new

Onkyo HT-S870 (1 Viewer)

Chris Bates

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all.... its been a while since I've posted, but I wanted to run something by you.

I finally decided to give the Onkyo HT-S770 a shot...I even had my wife excited about it. Just as we were getting ready to purchase it, I saw the HT-S870. This is the first THX certified HTIB. It looks very nice, but its $300 more than the HT-S770. It looks great, and its bound to sound fantastic, but is it worth the extra bones?

The idea behind purchasing the HT-S770 was the possibility of upgrading later. Knowing that Im planning on upgrading as I go, should I bother with the 870, and save that extra cash for upgrades, or should I try so get it together now, and spend it on the THX rating??

Id love to hear what you guys think.....

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Eric.. care to elaborate?

I wouldn't spend $300 just because it has a THX badge on it.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
http://www.thx.com/

The information here will probably explain it to you far better than I can. The short answer is: Top notch video and audio standards assured via THX testing standards. No slouch! :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well it is THX Select Cert. Not full THX cert. I'd say it doesn't mean much at all.

Doesn't the 770 come with a 10" Sub? I see the 870 has two 8" drivers? I think I'd want the 10" myself. Hard Call.

Vann's has the 870 for $750 online.
I've seen the 770 go for the lower $300's on a refurb. As I said hard call.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Very tough.

Value for dollar? I'd say 770 hands down at that kind of drastic price difference.

Forget the THX stuff, you're right, not that big at that rate.

Let me see if I can help you break down the differences I see. By posting these, maybe others can help you also with a fresh set of eyes.

You're going to have to really determine what the extra $300 or so really gets you and if it's worth it to you.

The 770 is a bargain and then some at that price, for sure! No slouch there!

The differences I see:

Right off the bat, the 870 has a nicer receiver with the HD component switching trick. The 770 does not.

2 8's on the sub vs. 1 10 = hell of a lot more bass and power. The THX, while not critical, is an extra step, overall, to some kick ass sound quality. This is simply a superior system in every respect.

The speakers seem to be bit more buffed in general. 2 ways vs. not on the 770.

More connections and variety thereof on the 870's receiver.

Honestly, even though it's $800 thereabouts, it's probably an insane value, overall. It probably rivals some HT systems that cost at least twice that, if precedent on these Onkyo HTIB's holds true for the 870.

If I were in the market for my first time, and I wanted awesome quality over the top under a grand, I'd personally get that 870 and call it a day. That's a hell of a value for all that, really.

Might want to consider Vann's credit card offer there at the top if you went for the 870 and you're worried about that price. Just an idea. A year to pay off $800? Not bad! ;)

770 doesn't have these. You WANT THIS!!!

DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx 96 kHz/24-Bit DACs for All Channels/ H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Transformer

Color-Coded 5.1 Multichannel Inputs (for Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio)

Future proof. Leaves the door open if you want to delve into high-rez audio, which I couldn't recommend to you enough!

Bottom line: If you can swing it, I'd get the 870 hands down. If you're really on a tight budget, the 770 will certainly serve you well and is the best value for your dollar in a pinch this side of a skimask and shotgun/van down by the river deal. ;)

Imho, the 870 is MORE than worth it at that price, if you can swing it.

770:

130 Watts x 6 Channels (8 ohm, 1 kHz, FC)

220 Watt 10" Powered Subwoofer

Bass Reflex Front Speakers with Dual 5 1/4" Cones, 1" Tweeter

Bass Reflex Surround Speakers with 4" Cone, 1" Tweeter

Bass Reflex Center Speaker with Dual 4" Cones, 1" Tweeter

Bass Reflex Surround Back Speaker with 4" Cone, 1" Tweeter

5 Audio Inputs/2 Audio Outputs

Remote Control Included

DTS/Dolby Pro Logic II Decoding

Discrete Output Stage Circuitry

Preset Station Naming

Automatic/Manual Tuning

Sleep Timer

Color Coded Speaker Terminals

Subwoofer Pre Out

WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)

Non-Scaling Configuration

Headphone Jack

Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry

CinemaFILTER

21.4 lbs. (Receiver)

17 1/8" x 5 7/8" x 14 13/16" (Receiver)

870:

1000 Watts Total Power (130 Watts x 6, 220 Watt Powered Subwoofer)

THX Select Certified with THX Surround EX Capability

2-Way Bass Reflex Front Speakers with Dual 5 1/4" A-OMF Woofers, 1" Tweeters

2-Way Bass Reflex Surround/Surround Back Speakers w/4" Cone Woofers, 1" Tweeters

2-Way Bass Reflex Center Speaker with Dual 4" A-OMF Cone Woofers, 1" Tweeter

Dual-Drive Bass Reflex Subwoofer with Built-In 220 Watt Amplifier, Dual 8" Woofers

HDTV-Capable (50 MHz) Component Video Switching (2 Inputs, 1 Output)

4 Digital Audio Inputs (3 Optical, 1 Coaxial), 4 S-Video Inputs, 2 Outputs

WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)

Preprogrammed RI (Remote Interactive) Remote Control

130 Watts/Channel, Continuous, into 8 Ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, FTC

DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx

96 kHz/24-Bit DACs for All Channels

H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Transformer

Subwoofer Pre Out

Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry

Color-Coded 5.1 Multichannel Inputs (for Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio)

A/B Speaker Drive

Double Bass Function

Color-Coded Speaker Terminals

Dual Drive Accubass Subwoofer, Auto Standby/On, Front Panel LED

Magnetically Shielded Front and Center Speakers

All Speakers Feature Color-Coded Speaker Terminals and Speaker Cable

A-OMF Diaphragm Woofer

Absolute Ground Plate and Bus Bars

Receiver: 17 1/8" x 5 7/8" x 14 13/16", 22.5 lbs.

Front Speakers: 7 7/16" x 16 1/2" x 9 5/16", 13.7 lbs. Each

Center Speaker: 15 1/4" x 6 3/16" x 7 15/16", 9.5 lbs.

Surround Speakers: 6 7/8" x 10 7/16" x 4 15/16", 3.7 lbs. Each

Subwoofer: 11 5/16" x 21 1/8" x 16 3/16", 43.3 lbs.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Component Video Switching: Plug in two component video devices into the receiver and use the component video out to the TV. This is a convenience that basically allows you to use the receiver as a switcher. In other words, you're only using one component video set on your TV, but you've got two devices on it, no problem! :emoji_thumbsup:

Higher end receivers take this trick further and make it where ANY device ranging from component down to S-Video down to regular composite ALL can be converted up to component video and switched on the fly and you're still using just that one set of component cables to the TV. VERY nice and convenient and you get a little picture quality boost. This 870 unit does not do this last paragraph.

Chris Bates

Stunt Coordinator
Well... after laboring over this one for a while, practicality won out, and I decided to go with the HT-S770. After setting it up, and spending some time tweaking the settings I must say this little system is very impressive. I look forward to putting it through the paces, and see what its really got....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks