1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Onkyo HT-S8230 = HT-S570?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tim Holyoke, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I'm in the market for my first, lower-end, HT setup. I had been looking at the HT-S570 from Onkyo, and saw a system (Onkyo HT-S8230) at Radio Shack for $250, $20 or $30 less than the 570 at Circuit City. The specs of these systems look basically the same, as do the systems themselves. Are they the same, just with different model #s?

Anybody have either? How do you like them?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Tim

2. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Yes, they are the same unit. I picked one up for the den and gave the sub to a friend. After intergrading the SVS PB10-ISD into it-it does just fine hooked up to the computer. If your on a tight budget, I would swap out the sub and go with http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-632 when it's on sale for $99.

How does it sound? Well after swapping the sub it's much better but nothing like my reference system. Never did expect it though. The receiver has many crossover points starting at 60 and 20-20 rated. Swap the sub and it'll be a good start and then the speakers as budget permits.

4. Muhammed

Muhammed Agent

Some Fry's stores had this on sale recently for $199, but that's pretty much regional (they're in Texas, and along the West coast I believe).

As a starter system, it's pretty decent.