Onkyo HT-S767C vs. Yamaha YHT 940 - which is the better system?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Matthews, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

i'm still trying to decide what's best for me (see the other thread on this page created by me), so i don't know if i really want to go all out and spend a few thousand dollars when something like this would be fine for my needs. these are the two packaged systems i've been looking at. i'll either do this, or build my own...but like i said, i don't know if building my own is going a bit too far. i listen to music ALL the time, more than i'd use the system for watching movies, if that changes anything.

do home theater systems pump a lot of power through those small, main speakers? i feel like those speakers would be too small to get a rich, full, clear sound...but i have no idea about this stuff. basically, i want to be able to hear it when i'm in the other room

2. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

My vote goes to the Onkyo system because I think it has better sounding speakers. Do you have the opportunity to hear each of them before you buy?

3. Mike Matthews

unfortunately, i don't think i can hear the Yamaha. they sell the Onkyo system here at places like Crutchfield, but i don't know about the Yamaha. they may have it at circuit city, i'll have to check

another question - how loud is 100 watts? will i need music speakers that are more powerful than this?

4. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo speakers will be fine and the system will be plenty loud. Your only concern should be sound quality and in my opinion the Onkyo sounds better. Circuit City usually carries a few Onkyo systems so stop in see if they have the one you want. Check if you like the sound and also crank it up to check out the volume. You can also buy it from onkyo.com so compare their price with crutchfields. And you may want to stop at home depot or lowes or someplace like that and pick up a spool of 12 or 14 gage speaker wire to replace the cheap stuff that comes with the system. If you happen to buy the system from circuit city dont get your speaker wire there because they'll push the expensive name brand (like monster) stuff on you and you dont need it.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mike, the Basics section is a beginners' area for asking questions about home theater essentials ("What is 2:3 pulldown?," "Is component video better than S-video?," that sort of thing). When asking about specific models, please post in the area dedicated to the subject you're asking about. Thanks!

6. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Mike,
    I saw your post about 'accidentally' buying the receiver on e-bay. This happens quite often if you are not used to how the process works. They definitely don't go out of their way to explain. Just for future reference, you can retract a bid that has been placed erroneously, but I think you need to do it fairly quickly. Best thing is to send an email to the seller immediately explaining the mistake. Most will be understanding about it. Also immediately send an email to e-bay explaining. The other day I meant to open a bid for .99 and mistakenly typed $99. By using the 'retract' opyion I had it resolved quickly with no hurt feelings. They don't make the retract option very obvious so you have to search around a bit. I don't know if it's too late for you or not, of course you always have the option of just not accepting the item at risk of your feedback but you always have the option of replying to negative feedback and explaining to others what happended.

7. Mike Matthews

do you think i should contact ebay, or is that a good receiver to build a system around?

8. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Mike, No...definitely nothing wrong with that receiver at all. And $400 is a very decent price. I was just providing available options cause you sounded like you were having reservations. That receiver most def could make a nice centerpiece of a fine A/V system.