What's new

Onkyo HT-S760 (1 Viewer)

George_Paq

Auditioning
I've been reading a lot on HTiB setups and this seems to be getting the best reviews, and it's at a good price. But I heard that the speakers in this setup are not shielded and was wondering how far away from the TV they have to be in order to not affect it?

Also I've been trying to find a place to buy the set at online but every place I go to will either only ship within the USA or if they do ship outside, these are exempt from it because of the weight. I live in Hamilton, ON (Canada) and was just curious if there are any places online that will ship these speakers to my home?

Thanks for the advice

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
For what you'd pay for this setup comeing from the US and all the taxes, duties and etc, I'd think you'd be better of getting a nice set of Paradigms or Energy's with a decent receiver. Wouldn't it be about the same price?

George_Paq

Auditioning
Well that's the thing I don't want to spend a whole lot

It's $500 USD in CDN funds thats $657. Now taxes would make it come up to 755 CDN. Duties I have no idea. Shipping well depends, I may just go across the border and pick this up at Circuit City. In all honesty I'd prefer it shipped to my home.

I don't think a 6.1 receiver and setup can be had for this price in CDN funds, but hey I can be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
The falsehhood that the 760 speakers are not shielded is one that wont die. They are shielded.
For what they are, they are good speakers, and what they are is a $200 speaker set with a sub included. If you want to talk about the real negatives of the speakers it is that they inefficient(86db for the fronts and 82db for the surrounds). To offset that the receiver is powerfull enough to drive them, I dont think you'll be wanting for volume.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
i don't know about the HT-S760.... but I have last year's SKS-HT500 speaker set...

and if only you guys can see the interference on my tv from these speakers.
:angry:

bastards at Onkyo ignored my first two messages....
and i haven't had time to take them into an authorized service center.

i'm afraid they might come back with more problems.

anyone else have interference problems from their speaker set?
Again... it's the Onkyo SKS-HT500 speaker set.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I also have the SKS 500's. Got them at Fry's for $129.95 new in box! This was the deal of the year. I read about the non-shielding thing and took one apart. There is a cover over the magnet. Take a flashlight and point it through the bass port on the rear of the fronts and center speakers and if you angle the light properly you can see the shield. Why it still causes a problem for some of you, I can't say. I have had no such problem. It appears as though "shielding" simply is metal cover over the magnet. Someone much more knowledgable than I can verify/correct me on this. If so, maybe a sheet of 1/4" metal placed under the speaker will solve the problem. I think I will try something like this myself on wednsday and get back to you-all wed nite. Anyway, these are nice speakers for the price and have not heard anything near $200 that even comes close. Gene

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Gene, that is an excellent deal!
I purchased my SKSHT500 set from circuit city after
Thanksgiving in 2002 for $199.

Perhaps it is because the next model came out, the 510?
;)

I will also look into my speakers and test either tin foil or go have a sheet of metal cut to be placed under the center channel.
However, I have had problems with the front speakers as well.
:frowning:

I asked Onkyo regarding how many people have called in for the warranty due to interference... they claimed that I was the first customer.
:angry: I laughed at them on the phone... and asked, "are you kidding me?"

Gene, let us know how it goes!
Thanks,
Dave

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, I took a car speaker with a 10 oz. magnet and put it near the screen of my tube TV and major dis-coloration occurred. I then removed a woofer from a front Onkyo and put it up against the screen. I had to get right up to it before a little bit of dis-coloration was noticed. I then took a woofer out of a Cerwin Vega C5 center channel and did the same thing. No dis-coloration was there. It looks like the Onkyo shielding isn't as effective. I then put a 1/4" sheet of metal up against the screen to use as a "barrier" and the metal itself caused the screen to go goofy! It did prevent the car speaker from making the screen worse but who cares if the metal itself also caused the problem. I also did the same test with an aluminum frying pan and the pan itself was o.k. but did nothing to stop the magnet from messing up the screen. I then tried various wood, fiberglass, plastic etc. pieces which were useless. In short, the whole process was a waste of time as nothing worked. I have no idea how speaker shielding works. I guess that's why I drive a truck for a living! Maybe someone else can help with the problem. I'm out of ideas. Gene

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Gene... what about aluminum foil?

My wife is watching "the bachelor"... I can't get near the tv.
:D

I'm trying to avoid having to take the ENTIRE set into the Onkyo authorized service center.

Anyone else have other ideas???

-Dave

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Naw. Aluminum foil dosn't work either. I even tried several layers. Didn't do anything but make a mess of my living room. Gene

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
Distortion with just a metal plate makes think there is a relatively powerfull magnetic field eminating from the tv itself. That may be the norm however, and I've never tried holding a sheet of metal to a tv before.

Have you tried discharging the screen? They used to sell degaussing tools for that, but newer tv's are supposed degauss at every power off.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry,
What is degaussing?

And wouldn't the problem with the speakers just continue?

Looks like I may have to resort taking these speakers into the service center.

Damn Onkyos....
:angry:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have two tv's. A 35" GE and a 27" consol and conducted the "tests" on both with the same results (except the tin foil test. Only made a mess in one room with that one!). As for "discharging" and "degaussing", I'm sorry Jerry. I don't have any idea what you mean. I think this whole mess is way beyond me. I'm just glad I don't have the problem myself. Gene

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
As I recollect it is a way to eliminate or counter a magnetic field.

Or it's probably easier to think of it as "demagnetizing".

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a tube monitor on your pc, it probably has a degauss function. I dont know if tv's have this feature, I thought they all had gone to doing this on every power off/on.

Here's a link that talks about degaussing a TV.

Degaussing link

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Thanks for the explanation Jerry. I'm 43 and don't remember anyone having to do that, even on older tv's. But now I know what you meant. and that does make sense as to why the metal dis-colored the screen. I have decided to follow up on this "shielding" thing, just for my own info. It may take a while though. And DavidQc. Sorry for the late response. It's only 7:30 pm out on the west coast and sometimes I forget about the time difference. Gene

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Gene,
Call me Dave. :emoji_thumbsup:

I noticed earlier that you are in the bay area.
How's the weather? It's starting to get really cold in the tri-state area this week.

Jerry - demagnetizing the tv may help short term... but the problem is persisting with my Onkyo speaker set.

If the Onkyo speakers are proven to be not well shielded... perhaps they will cover the warranty and offer a replacement???

I have not seen any posts from owners having the need to exercise the warranty.

-Dave

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Hate to say it Dave, but upper 60's to mid 80's. We have many "micro-climates" . October is the nicest month out here. Anyway, I hope you figure something out. These speakers sound to good for the money. too bad your having such a problem. And Jerry, thanks for the link. I now have yet another site to spend time wandering around in. Gene

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, I'm thinking (and I'm not by any means an expert) that if the tube has such a strong magnetic field that a sheet of metal will cause a distortion, then no amount of shielding the speaker will help.

What you can learn through these discussions... I was doing research for this thread and this is what came upon.
Bucking magnet
It is used to shield a speaker by cancelling out the magnetic field of the speakers magnet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks