Onkyo HT-S760...Several questions.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DaveA, Jun 18, 2004.

1. DaveA

DaveA Auditioning

Greetings, Gentlemen! A newbie who's been lurking for quite some time, but this is my first post. Just ordered an Onkyo HT-S760 (refurb)directly from ShopOnkyo...couldn't pass up the deal. TOTAL was $289 - shipped - and they throw in a couple of speaker stands. While I was at it, I went ahead and ordered the DV-SP301 DVD player, and am anxiously waiting for them to arrive. Wondered if someone could help me with a few questions:

Though not real often, we still have need of a VCR deck. Anything specific I should look for...or will any old player from the shelves of Wal-Mart do?

I keep an old collection of vinyl LP's, and would like to incorporate my Technics turntable in to the system...but it appears that the Onkyo receiver doesn't have any "phono-in" connections. Any suggestions as to how I can make this work?

The main portion of the room is about 13'x23', with a very low ceiling (7'-4"). There's a beam crossing the room behind the main seating area. Would it be a problem to mount the 3 rear surrounds to the beam...or should they be located lower...closer to ear-level?

Thanks in advance!
    Dave.

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    VCR's have many moving parts so I'd stick with a name brand one. And make sure it's a stereo vcr. Even those are real cheap these days. You can get an adapter for about $40 or less at Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. that lets you hook up your turn table to the aux (or tape) in port of your receiver. And don't forget to hook up the phono's ground wire some where. As for the surround speakers, closer to ear level would be better but ceiling height can sound good too. But you may have to turn the volume up on them at ceiling height, or use a calibration disc to accurately set the levels. I think you will be surprised at how good your system sounds for the low price. Now lets see what others think.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    VCR's have many moving parts so I'd stick with a name brand one. And make sure it's a stereo vcr. Even those are real cheap these days. You can get an adapter for about $40 or less at Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. that lets you hook up your turn table to the aux (or tape) in port of your receiver. And don't forget to hook up the phono's ground wire some where. As for the surround speakers, closer to ear level would be better but ceiling height can sound good too. But you may have to turn the volume up on them at ceiling height, or use a calibration disc to accurately set the levels. I think you will be surprised at how good your system sounds for the low price. Now lets see what others think.

4. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

I bought one too!!, although Im waiting for my TV (Hit 51s500) to be delivered before I can hook it up. 7/10/04 seems a long ways away. I'll post some impressions once I receive it. 289 is a good deal. I got it for 399 shipped new from JandR, can't wait to crank it. What DVD player are you using. Im thinking of getting the Pioneer DV-578A.

5. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

I bought one too!!, although Im waiting for my TV (Hit 51s500) to be delivered before I can hook it up. 7/10/04 seems a long ways away. I'll post some impressions once I receive it. 289 is a good deal. I got it for 399 shipped new from JandR, can't wait to crank it. What DVD player are you using. Im thinking of getting the Pioneer DV-578A.