Onkyo HT-S760 Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DanielKellmii, Mar 17, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Feb 5, 2004
    I am learning a lot here, but in some ways I regret it. I have had my Onkyo for about 2 months now and I want to start upgrading. So, I thought the first thing I could do was get some speakers. Before I did that I looked for the LARGE and SMALL setting on the receiver (Onkyo 510). I checked the documentation and could only find a reference to Sub Modes.

Parameter Description

Mode 1
    The subwoofer outputs
    the low frequencies of all
    Mode 2
    The subwoofer outputs
    the low frequencies of the
    center and surround
    channels only.
    Mode 3
    The subwoofer outputs
    the LFE (Low Frequency
    Effects) channel of 6.1
    source material.
    The subwoofer output is
    off. Choose this setting if
    you’re not using a subwoofer,
    or want to turn off
    your subwoofer.

It is some sort of control, but to me, it looks like the 510 is permanantly set to "Large." Does anybody else have any input about that? Has anybody ever upgraded their speakers and stayed with the 510? I guess I could get speakers that can handle the "large" setting. Actually, I think I would prefer that.
  2. gene c

gene c Producer

Aug 5, 2003
    Welcome Daniel. Yes, the more you know the more you need to know! And the more you want! Anyway, the way you put it is basically correct but you have to look at it in a different way. When it says the sub outputs the low frequencies from all channels what it means is all channels are small. On my Onkyo HT-R500 that came with the HT-650, this is the way I interpret the settings. Mode 1 is all speakers small, mode 2 is center and surrounds small and fronts large and mode 3 is all large and the sub gets only the LFE. And off is, of course, off. Hope this helps. Gene