What's new

Onkyo HT-S7300 Speaker replacement? (1 Viewer)

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
What's goin on, people?
Just a lil over a month ago I was looking for suggestions regarding purchasing a HTIB, and ultimately decided to jump on the Onkyo HT-S7300, main reason being possible future upgrade options.
All works well so far as far as I can tell. HowEVER…
I notice that the center speaker (part of the HTP-680 series) sounds extremely artificial. Almost sounds like the sound is coming out of a plastic box (very flat).
The speaker as far as I know isn’t defective. Music and gaming both sound pretty good.
The main problem is when watching a bluray or streaming Hulu content off the internet.
The manual mentions a lot of functions (Dynamic Eq, Cinema modes etc.) but I can barely tell the difference when any of these are tweaked.
Is there a chance of replacing just THAT speaker to solve the problem, or is this something that will require a full replacement of both front ones as well (as that is usually the case when “matching” speakers)?
Maybe tips on tweaking so that speech is less “harsh”??
I’d feel really crappy if after purchasing a very highly rated HTIB, Id have to take my entire system apart just because my center sound isn’t up to par.
I can’t imagine explaining this to gf who contributed to the purchase price.
Any suggestions on the ONE speaker replacement if it’s even possible?
Budget is definitely an issue. ;)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Christian,
You found one of the biggest problems with these types of systems. The speakers are typically weak. The other main issue with these types of setups is connectivity - usually you get some proprietary connections and limited options. The reason the Onkyo was rated high was because it does not suffer from this second problem. We usually try to steer folks away from HTiB.
It seems unlikely that you will find a better center that will timbre match with your mains. Onkyo is not a speaker company so I doubt they will have anything better.
Have you tried moving the center to different locations (up and down)? Is it in a cabinet or buried deep in a shelf? Is it angled to point directly at your head? And finally, have you run the auto setup (Audyssey) built into your Onkyo?

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
Hey David,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I had originally been looking at a Samsung system with very very limited connectivity.
I basically chose the lesser of two evils by choosing an HTIB but going with Onkyo.
The center is directly at my eye level with the tv approximately 1 foot above it. It is completely unenclosed hanging on the wall.
Pictures can be provided if need be, but i'm pretty sure my descriptions are pretty clear.
Overall the setup is very tightly installed with everything at correct heights, and symmetry.
I did run the Audyssey setup, and although it's off by a few feet in some locations, it did do its job.
I did NOT however consider moving the speaker up or down for set up reasons as the tv is already higher than I'd originally wanted. Bringing the center up above the tv will be too much i think. No?
Will the timbre match really be THAT substantially important? Seems all the other speakers are more than pulling their own weight.
Thanks in advance.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If the measurements were off by a few feet something went very wrong. Other than the subwoofer, the measurements should be very accurate.
Double check each speaker to make sure you are getting sound from all of the drivers. If everything checks out, re-run Audyssey. Follow the suggestions in the Audyssey guide linked in my signature.
As for Timbre matching, you can certainly try a different center. It may not be noticeable or it could be very obvious. Only way to know is try it.

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
Really?!
I didn't think the Audyssey was THAT accurate. Go figure. First experience with it.
The room although rectangular is odd shaped since I have a living room connected to a kitchen with virtually no wall between the two.
All speakers do have sound. I did have a home theatre before this on, and was pretty meticulous abou testing the speakers for sound after every 4 or five uses.
I will DEFinitely check your guide out.
If I had to call it, I'd say that the center speaker just having a TINY touch of bass would make all the difference in the world. The noob in me made me pump the sub to max, but it makes absolutely no difference to the sound coming from the center. Even the deepest of voices.
I'm just really in awe over how many people talk about how great the system sounds. and it DOES.. but maybe they went in expecting something "just ok" where as I was possibly expecting "earth shattering?"
Band of Brothers and Iron Man 2 are very difficult to watch. It sounds so.. artificial.
I know people watching them with me are thinking the same thing, but nobody comments to not hurt my feelings. haha
Will post my findings as soon as I run Audyssey.
Thanks again.

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
Ok. Happy to report that I ran Audyssey late last night, and it was perfectly accurate.
I had originally just "plopped" the mic to the top of my cushy leather couch, not realizing just how important a flat elevated surface would be.
I placed it on top of a 4 foot high flat plastic tube, and moved the couch 2 feet from the wall to make sure that the mic was 1 foot from the rear wall.
The measurements are all where they should be.
I did not however get to fully test the sound because of how late it was when I finished the whole thing.
Maybe I'm suffering from a placebo effect, and it's just me, but a little change is already noticeable from what I was able to make out.
Pretty anxious to get back home and go full blast.
Here's hoping.
As before, I will post my progress.

krixx

Grip
Real Name
Christian
Hey David,
Ok so as I mentioned before, the Audyssey was a lot more accurate this time around, but sadly, the speakers still sound "mreh"
The difference is better, but very minimal in comparison to what it was before.
I'm [can't] not gonna invest in a new center just yet, but it's something to consider in the long run. I'm not so much of an audiophile that a different timbre will make all that big a deal. (So long as it's not substantial)
If in fact Onkyo speakers arent of the highest quality, I can only imagine that the difference between a high end center and two "so so " fronts will be pretty big.
I just know myself, and it's gonna eat at me until I have it just right.
Again...
If anyone has experience with this particular system, and happened to replace any speakers, I'm all ears for suggestions.
Enjoy the weekend, people!

Hizzy

Auditioning
Real Name
Hans Shin
I'm doin homework on this system for a possible budget used merchandise purchase. The author of this thread mentioned its capabilities for a "upgrade-friendly" receiver. I am no audiophile, but had the opportunity to experience my dad's system which consisted of an assortment of speaker manufacturers(klipsch center1, Mission center2, Mission towers for L+R, Mission bookshelf speakers x2 for surround, and a 12" klipsch powered subwoofer, powered by a 1000 watt yamaha receiver. Even though this receiver is connected to a LP turntable with oldschool looking cosmetics in everything in the system except the fairly new Klipsch additions, I have yet to hear anything that sound as good as my dad's 2 decade wide collection of audion equipment. I guess what i'm trying to research is, Does this onkyo system escape the common conception that HTIB systems are just horrible? Can I just replace the onkyo speakers to better(following ohm limits), maintaining sufficient amplification? Since 3d receivers (I know that there are ways to achieve 5.1 3d capable HDMI 1.4 quality sound without a 3d capable receiver) are fairly expensive at a minimum of $300 at the lowest quality. is it right to assume, that even considering Onkyo's good reputation, the receiver they have included that actually decodes the latest technologies, will be pretty damn shitty since its manufacutered to handle its shitty speakers? (pardon my cussin') I have read so many reviews on this thing i know it in and out; at $500 CDN it seems like bang for the buck, but can it really appease my audiophile quality ears(ignorance is bliss)? If u made it this far, leave your 2 cents on this matter; your experience will greatly help me make my decision. THANK YOU!!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 7300 isn't a htib, it is a real receiver and 7.1 speaker system sold and shipped in a single box. A htib is a receiver dvd/bluray player in the same cabinet with a speaker system that generally can't be used with any other receiver and can't be replaced by any other speakers. The receiver in the 7300, like all other Onkyo systems, is a decent stand-alone receiver in it's own right. It isn't "dumbed-down" because it's included with less than ideal speakers. It's usually a very close cousin to an established Onkyo receiver. The speakers in fact are the weak link in these receiver/speaker packages. They have to save money someplace. Replacing the speakers/subwoofer with something more capable and keeping the receiver is what often happens eventually. These packages are a great way to get your feet wet in a home theater surround sound setup without spending a lot of money up-front. Replacing the speakers/subwoofer is usually the next step up the ladder. You should try and audition it first just to be sure you don't hate it. But you probly won't as long as you keep your expectations in-line with your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks