What's new

Onkyo HT-S3400 OR Yamaha YHT-495BL OR Denon DHT1312BA (1 Viewer)

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
Which HTIB would you choose? Onkyo HT-S3400 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Onkyo+-+660W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Home+Theater+System/2872102.p?skuId=2872102&productCategoryId=pcmcat167300050040&id=1218359084850 OR Yamaha YHT-495BL http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-+600W+5.1-Ch.+Home+Theater+System/2053166.p?id=1218307632954&skuId=2053166 OR Denon DHT1312BA http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+5.1-Ch.+3D+Home+Theater+System/2371083.p?id=1218323422556&skuId=2371083 Thanks, JOe K.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Of those three I'd go with the Denon. It comes with Boston Acoustics speakers. The Onkyo has a passive subwoofer. The Yamaha would be O.K. but I'd still go with the Denon/Boston. But if your not tied to BestBuy then consider this speaker system and receiver from ac4l.com They're factory refurbished but come with a one year warranty from Onkyo. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKSKSHT540/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-7.1-channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System/1.html http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR508/Onkyo-TX-SR508-7.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html And for $650 the Onkyo 9300 would be way better than any of them. But if the budget doesn't allow for it then the Denon/Boston is the best choice.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It is worth $200 more than the Onkyo just because of the Onkyo's passive subwoofer. To be honest, I wouldn't say it's worth $200 more than the Yamaha but it is better based on the BA speakers and sub. I would also give the nod to the Denon receiver over the Yamaha but not by that much (I just like Denon's).

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
Does the Yamaha have the Audessey (off a preliminary search I'd say, no)? I know the Denon does. Does Audessy make a large difference? Perhaps I'll make the guys at Best Buy set them up proper. They have composite audio going into the system from a DVD player. Thanks, JOe K.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Denon 1312 system doesn't have Audyssey and the Yamaha 495 doesn't have YAPO but the Onkyo 3400 does have Audyssey so if automatic setup and room correction is important to you then the 3400 is back in the running. Shame about that passive sub though. Of those three I'd still take the Denon/boston combination but the Onkyo 508/HT-540 I linked to earier is still better than all three.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Perhaps I'll make the guys at Best Buy set them up proper. They have composite audio going into the system from a DVD player.
There's no such thing as "composite audio". If what you saw was digital coax, that is a high quality connection, and is only bettered by HDMI, and then only when playing Bluray HD audio formats.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Which one would I choose? I would go with "none of the above". If you're not locked in to Best Buy I'd buy somethng else. If you want sub/sat system look at the Jamo A340PDD.3 http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544726540/jamo-a340pdd-3?s_c=site_search Add the Denon 1611 receiver http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538557121/denon-avr1611?s_c=site_search or this Denon 1611/BA CS2310 package for $499 http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/bundles/538557121/denon-avr1611 The Denon will give you the Audyssey MultiEQ auto calibration plus it has other features none of the receivers you metioned has like analog to HDMI video conversion, Zone 2 speaker capability, etc. If you can have tower speakers, look at the Onkyo 509/Jamo s426 combo from TigerDirect. Doesn't come with a subwoofer but you can add one later. The Onkyo reciever has networking and can stream Pandora, internet radio, etc. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=186323&CatId=4586

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
Awesome! Thanks guys. I'm probably going to ditch the BestBuy idea. I'm glad I posted something. Which package would be the best relative to price: Onkyo 508/HT-540 7.1 ($350) Denon 1611/BA CS2310 5.1 ($500) Denon 1611/Jamo A340PDD.3 5.1 ($500) I'm getting closer! Thanks again, JOe K. P.S. Are the satelite speakers easily mounted in all of these packages? (I can't do the towers)

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
I like the idea of 7.1 because I'm going to have a 10 to 15' distance from the rear wall or is that too far? Thanks, JOe K.

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
Alright guys: I think I narrowed it down. Any objections to going with the Onkyo HT-RC360 and the SKS-HT540's?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Of the three you mention earlier I'm going to stick with the 508/540 mainly because the front and center speakers are fairly large with 5 1/4" drivers. I do like the Denon 1611 better than the 508 though.My brother has a Denon 1610 with Boston Acoustics speakers, towers in the front and a larger center speaker but the same CS2310's as surrounds, and it sounds real good. Those are really small speakers but pretty good quality. Higher quality than the Onkyo's (which still aren't bad for what they are) and probably the Jamo's as well but I have no idea how good or bad that Jamo speaker system is. I do have a Jamo HCS 5.1 speaker package that I've been trying to sell for a while and it's not bad for movies but it is a bit lacking for music. But I'm not saying your Jamo package would be the same. They sell a lot of different speakers of varying quality. The Onkyo RC360 looks like a nice receiver for $309, maybe to good for any of those speakers. I'm going to stick to my guns and still say the Onkyo HT-540 with the RC360 first and the 508 second. But the Denon 1611/Boston CS2310 would be a good choice as well. I just don't know anything about that Jamo speaker package to voice an opinion. We usually recommend you spend more on the speakers and sub than the receiver but that HT-540 is hard to beat for $170 (IMO). T confuse things even more, also look at Fluance for in-expensive speakers packages. http://www.fluance.com/shop-speakers.html#complete-speaker-system

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
How is AC4L? Are the refrub-ed systems as good as new? In your opinion. Also the RC360 too good for the HT-540 system. What does that mean? Also, is it worth 7.1 if I have decent space (15') between the wall and the couch? Thanks, JOe K.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've heard very few complaints about ac4l.com. There have been some on the internet but if you look hard enough you can find complaints about Mother Teresa. I've bought thre things from them over the years and while those have been as good as new you won't know untill they arrive. They are gauranteed to perform as new but there may be some minor imperfections. As I said, we usually recommend spending more on the speakers than the receiver. Those speakers came with a receiver closer to the 308. I'm sure they would work very well with the RC360 but it's much more receiver than the HT-540 speaker package came with. Your room is big enough for a 7.1 system with lots of room behind the seating position. But there isn't much released in 7.1 yet. But there's always ProLogic and DTS Neo:6 to add the Back Surround channels.

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
If AC4L has been around for years then I'll treat them as reputable. They have some decent reviews online: more good than bad. What speakers would fill out that RC360? Should I build a 7.1 speaker set instead of looking for a package? Also, how does the 7.1 work when there is only 5.1 input? Do the 4,5 (rear L) and 6,7 (rear R) simply act the same? I'm concerned with clarity more so than loudness. Thanks, JOe K.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Building a set is almost always better than buying a package, but it also cost quite a bit more. The Polk Monitor series from Newegg.com is often mentioned. But of course, try and listen to them someplace first. This can all get way out of hand real fast if your not carefull. Dolby/DTS will create the Back Surround channels from the Side Surrounds much in the same way it creates 5.1 from a 2.0 signal. I would think it would be less successfull since it has far less to work with going from 5.1 to 7.1 than from 2.0 to 5.1 since there isn't much of a signal from the Side Surrounds to create the back Surrounds. But it might be good enough to fill the void. If clearity is more important then I'd stick with whatever the movie's native sound track is and skip the matrixed stuff. As for piecing together a speaker system, finding a 5.1 speaker setup for anywhere near the price of the HT-540 might be tough. The HT-540 isn't a great speaker system by any means but most people spend more on just the sub (BIC F-12 or V1220) than on the entire Onkyo 7.1 package. Like I said, You'll be way over budget before you know it. The Onkyo 509/Jamo s426 package that Greg mentioned from TigerDirect.com also looks good for the price. But you would need a sub (at least $100).

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
I guess while were at it: RC-360 OR AVR 1611 I'm leaning toward the 360 but I suppose whatever is best. They are both 300 from varying vendors. Thanks for all of your help, JOe K.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd take the 360. 100 wpc, Marvell Qdeo video processing and Audyssey DSX. I'd still take the Onkyo Ht-540. Bigger front and center channels, more powerfull and deeper sub. And 7.1, maybe it will work for you (DSX is designed for multiple speakers with front height channels). Onkyo subs don't have that great a rep but I think they are hard to beat for the price. A litte "Boom-Boom" maybe (meaning they won't be as good as BIC, Allison, HSU, etc. but...And they go down to 25 hz vs 32 and 35 for the other two. The Boston speakers would be nice in a smaller room. Of course, this is all my own opinion. My brother had an Onkyo receiver/speaker package similar to the 540 and I was always amazed at how well it sounded for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks