What's new

Onkyo HT-RC430 Help (1 Viewer)

jceccoli

Auditioning
Real Name
joe ceccoli
Hello. I currently have an Onkyo TX-DS494. I like it and all, but it's a bit old and I would love to replace it. Now, I am currently looking at the Onkyo HT-RC430. It has HDMI and HD audio, just like what I was looking for, but I still can't find if it is 1080p compatible. Onkyo's website says the the inputs are 1080p "capable", which may mean that it supports input in 1080p, but down scales it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, or any new suggestions. Preferably any receiver on walmart.com for less that 200 dollars, because I have a gift card. Thanks in advance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Typically Onkyo calls a receiver "1080P capable" because it doesn't scale. So, essentially, the 430 is irrelevant in the "HDMI video chain".

jceccoli

Auditioning
Real Name
joe ceccoli
OK. Thank you very much. Would you recommend the Harman Kardon AVR 1700?

jceccoli

Auditioning
Real Name
joe ceccoli
Hello. I currently have an Onkyo TX-DS494. I was looking to replace it with the Onkyo HT-RC430, but learned that it is not 1080p compatible. So, now I am looking at the Harman Kardon AVR 1700, and I really like it and it is on sale for 200 at Best Buy (normally 500). So, would anyone recommend this system? Does anyone own one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 430 is fully capable of passing 1080P. It won't down-scale it. It's a very basic avr by todays standard but it will give you 1080P, 3D and Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. Basically it supports the very best audio and video available today. Any receiver that is HDMI 1.4 will. Which is virtually all new receivers.
The H/K 1700 would be a decent step up with it's EZSetEQ automatic setup and room eq and for $200 at BestBuy it's a decent value. It's closer to the Onkyo 515 in performance. But I would bet the 430 would work very well for you as well

jceccoli

Auditioning
Real Name
joe ceccoli
Haha ok. I just wanted to make sure before I spend the 160 dollars on it. Thanks again for the help, everybody.

jceccoli

Auditioning
Real Name
joe ceccoli
One other thing, does the Onkyo receiver have network connectivity, so that I can use the android app?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nope
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-RC430&class=Receiver&p=i
So you can find also the one more to your liking. Which would probably be the NR414.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The RC430 is a de-contented SR313. The RC460 is a de-contented NR616.
Otherwise, the NR models are networked...as that is what the N stands for.

jceccoli

Auditioning
Real Name
joe ceccoli
So, should I go with the Harman Kardon AVR 1700, or the Onkyo NR-414? Sorry for asking too many questions, just want to get the best bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread