What's new

Onkyo HT-R340 (1 Viewer)

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
My Onkyo receiver works well as hooked up now but only if we watch a movie using our DVD player. Is it possible to be able to listen to a tv show or sports channel through the surround sound speakers with the DVD player turned off?

I have an LG tv and a Panasonic DVD player. The tv audio OUT are connected to the DVD player audio IN. The video Out from TV is connected to DVD video IN. DVD player is connected as well to Onkyo receiver.

The tv has a digital coaxial audio output port that isn’t being used. The Onkyo receiver has a digital coaxial audio IN port not being used.

Do I need to buy a coaxial cable and connect tv to receiver in order to solve my issue?

Your questions are welcome.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What are the brand and model numbers of the receiver and DVD player?

You don't connect DVD audio and video out from the TV to the receiver. Things typically go, Source(DVD player) > Receiver > TV, but not back again.

Things are wonky with your connections, so let's get that cleared up first, then we'll get the audio from your TV back to the receiver. Are you using the TV's tuner for television using an antenna?

Yes, you will probably need an optical cable to get done what you want.

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
DVD player is Panasonic model DMR-E20. AV Receiver is Onkyo HT-R340.

I am using the tv tuner via internet connection with Roko stick and YouTube tv. Not using an antenna.

would you like pics of the rear of tv and DVD player and receiver?

Thank you.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to clarify, if you’re not using an antenna, you’re not using the TV’s tuner.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, your only source is the Roku and the DVD player?

You receive the TV shows and sports channels with the Roku?

Last edited:

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
Correct. Thanks for the info as I am not very technical. Maybe this will help

TV has this set up: 5 cables.

- A red and a white plugged into Audio OUT. These then connect to the Receiver and to the Video2 IN.
- A grey/white and a grey/red plugged into AVIN1 Video R & L. These are connected on the other end to the DVD player to Audio2 OUT.
- Yellow cable plugged into Video IN. Other end plugged into DVD player Video OUT 1.

Receiver has this set up for two cables in addition to the above info.

- A black and a red cable plugged into Video1 IN and other ends plugged into DVD Audio OUT1.

I hope this helps.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, the DVD player and receiver are both extremely old. Pre-hdmi. That clears things up a bit.

Would you post the model # of the TV? I'm guessing the Roku is connected to the TV with hdmi. The connection on the TV will say hdmi.

The mix of relatively modern, hdmi equipped gear and the receiver and DVD player that don't have them will make it interesting.

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
The TV is an LG brand. Model #47LG90. This TV has 4 HDMI ports. I have the Roku stick plugged into the HDMI 1 slot. If what I want to achieve with my equipment is not possible, I am not opposed to updating the components though I am partial to the receiver which was purchased with the speakers as a package. I have attached pictures of all 3 items. If I need to update a component, I am hoping it is only the DVD player. I do have a blu ray player not being used. It was a gift that I never installed as I didn't have the need. It is not brand new but I could get the info off of it if you felt it would be a better component to be using. Most of the DVD's I own are not blu ray.

Attachments

• DVD.jpg
    DVD.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 755
  • LG TV.jpg
    LG TV.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 592
  • Receiver.jpg
    Receiver.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,045
Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does the DVD player have an optical output? There isn’t one in the photo.

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
Yes. Please see photo. My previous photo missed it. My bad

Attachments

• 138D7F32-D252-4EB5-9F38-8B4B3961063B.jpeg
    138D7F32-D252-4EB5-9F38-8B4B3961063B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 202

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, I see what's the problem now.

Do you want to use the audio with the receiver all the time, or do you want the option of using the TV for audio sometimes?

It's much simpler if you use the receiver for audio all the time.

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
Audio with the receiver at all times would be great. It’s a shame now that I can’t use the surround sound speakers unless I am watching a DVD only.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To clarify, you get surround with DVDs but not the Roku..?

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
Yes. When we use Roku, which is every time we turn the TV on, the receiver is never turned on. The only time I turn the Receiver on is only when I watch a DVD. Otherwise, the Receiver and DVD player are never used until we put in a DVD.

I have never turned the Receiver on when using the Roku as I would not of thought that made any difference since the DVD player wouldn't be used then. We do from time to time watch movies through Roku (certain streaming programs) but I didn't even think to try to use the Receiver for something like that because with everything I have tried in the past to listen to the TV through the receiver and the surround sound speakers, nothing worked.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to speculate a little, so I could be wrong about the fix.

First, you have everything running through the TV first, then to the receiver. Connections really should go to the receiver first, then to the TV. However, since your receiver doesn't have hdmi, you have to connect the Roku to the TV first, then pass the audio to the receiver.

Since you are getting audio for DVDs but not the Roku, it leads me to believe that the TV doesn't pass digital sources through the analog audio output. That gives you the opportunity to fix two problems at the same time.

Ideally, the audio from your DVD player should use the digital optical output and go to an optical input on your receiver. You'll need an optical cable for that. Those are cheap. Currently you are using analog (red and white) RCA cables and feeding them through the TV. The video from the DVD player can stay how it is, since your receiver doesn't appear to have any on-screen display.

The Roku has to stay where it is, because that's your only option. If your receiver had hdmi inputs, you'd connect it to one of those instead. I suspect if you send audio from the TV to the receiver using a second optical cable you should gain audio from the Roku with your receiver. Your receiver has two optical inputs, so you can do this. You'll have to assign those two inputs in the receiver's input menu to correspond to those devices (DVD & TV/Roku).

I'm sure you're completely confused by now.

One thing to clarify is the flow of stuff from one place to another. People tend to use the terms "input" and "output" interchangeably, or simply call everything an "input". That creates confusion. Connections always go from an output to an input. Notice that your receiver and DVD player have inputs and outputs, clearly designated. TVs have mostly inputs, and a couple outputs.

To boil it down, this is how I'd connect everything.

DVD Player
Video Out (yellow) to video in on TV (same as it is now)
Optical Audio out to an Optical in on the receiver. You'll need to configure the receiver to use that when you select the DVD input.

Roku
Plugged into an hdmi on the TV, same as it is now.
Optical audio out to the other optical audio input on the receiver. Again, you'll need to configure the input for that.

This really should give you surround audio from the Roku, and it will improve the surround from your DVD player. You need two optical cables. Then you need to configure the audio inputs on the receiver, which is pretty easily explained in the manual, which you can download if you don't have it.

Finally, to get the audio from the Roku to work right, you might have to go into the TV's setup menu, and there should be an "Audio" option, and then there should be an Output option with choices of Variable and Fixed. You want it on Fixed.

I think that'll do it.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
I appreciate your help. Learning as I go. I will give this a shot tomorrow after I pick up a couple optical cables. The question that I have is your info on the Roku. I am pasting your info:

Roku
Plugged into an hdmi on the TV, same as it is now.
Optical audio out to the other optical audio input on the receiver. Again, you'll need to configure the input for that.

The Roku is just plugged into a HDMI slot. Where would the optical Audio Out be located as you mention?

I will download the receiver manual to find out how to configure audio inputs.

Stay tuned

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
Is this the style cable I need?

Attachments

• 0A5FE6F8-8C1A-43C0-A83E-23A0C49A389F.png
    0A5FE6F8-8C1A-43C0-A83E-23A0C49A389F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 250

Burgy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Burgmeier
My TV setup for Audio doesnt have an Output option or Variable ot Fixed option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks