What's new

Onkyo, HK, Denon or Marantz? (1 Viewer)

reierme

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
I'm trying to find the best receiver in the $600 range that will support my PS3 and will sound good with axiom or polk speakers. Right now I'm leaning towards the Onkyo 806.

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt
im tagging along. Since you dont have to worry about decoding with these receivers (your PS3 does it already), I would try to demo as best you can, as many different models in your price range. Im in the same boat. I have a Sony STR-DG720 and looking to upgrade to a more quality AVR. Initially, I was looking at one of these...

Marantz SR6001 receiver 100w x 7ch HDMI home theater surround NEW | Accessories4less

and you can get a refurbed one for about $120 less. I've read nothing but good things about Marantz

I was going to get a Harman Kardon 254, but I read over on AVSforum that there is numerous bug issues with them. Many 254 owners have no problem with theirs, but just as many do and thats too much for me.

Based on this website... BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY which has explained MANY things to me in english regarding the use of my PS3, I would get at least the Denon 789.

I suppose its going to come down to personal preference. For me, since the PS3 does all the decoding for me, it comes down to amplifier quality and ability over bells and whistles.

reierme

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
I don't fully understand all the techical details of these receivers so that's why I'm here asking questions. Basically I am using my PS3 for gaming and for blu ray dvd. I have digital cable and a 1080p plasma tv. In the near future I will be replacing my surround speakers with something like a good axiom or polk system. My dilemna is which receiver will tie this all together and work the best for me and will not be completely overwhelmed or outdated within a year. I have narrowed it down to the 4 brands noted in the title but I've heard so many conflicting stories that I'm not sure which is the best fit.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My pecking order (depending on the model) would be Marantz (wonderful performance but a bit pricey), Onkyo (great bang for the buck but they run a bit warm and CSR is apparently lacking), Denon (good balance of performance and quality control but just a bit more $$) and H/K (perhaps equal to or surpassing the performance of Marantz but QC is more than suspect and they only offer 3-4 models.

I'm often torn between value and performance so Denon might be the best of the 4. All in my opinion, of course.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I, personally, would go with the Onkyo or Denon.
Onkyo is a lot of bang for the buck, and Denon is just good, solid gear. But as was mentioned, Denon is proud of their stuff, and it's gonna cost you more.

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Jeremy, i feel your pain as it has taken me a lot of late night thread reading to even start to understand all this techno geek jargon. Now I am by no means an expert (far from it actually), but it sounds like we have a very very similar situation. Here is my set up currently...

Sammy PNA650 Plasma (5084 now but A650 is arriving this week)
Sony STR-DG720
Jamo 5.0 set-up (although the rears are not currently hooked up)
Velodyne 1210 sub (have had this for about 10 years and it works flawlessly)
DirecTV HD receiver
PS3

I have been looking to upgraded both my receiver and speakers (except the sub) and will be getting the receiver first. Since the PS3 will decode all the new codecs, we do not need to get a receiver that internally decodes this. It is one of the reasons I bought a PS3. I can concentrate on a receiver that has quality components than worry about one that has to internally decode the audio options or process video. It is one of the reasons why I am leaning towards the Marantz. Its sound reproduction based on posts from marantz owners with similar set-ups to ours say its nothing short of superb. Next on my list would be the Denon, mainly because of the Audessy (sp) set-up. My HT is in my living room and the cathedral ceiling banks down towards the seating area so the Audessy will take care of any acoustic issues. Onkyo is also a top notch brand and if the newer HK AVR's didnt have bugging issues they would probably be #1 as just about everything Ive read regarding their "sound" is spectacular.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
Believe me, it's much more complicated to make an educated decision on AVR's these days. I'm hardly a noob(my living room HT is over eight years old...with the exception of my seven year old Toshiba 50" RPTV
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Initially I was seriously considering a Yamaha but then I started leaning towards Denon(always a solid choice). I was also thinking about HK but their quality issues scared me away.

I've always wanted a Marantz and that's what I bought around ten days ago. I picked up a refurbished 5002 for $327 shipped from AC4L. Cosmetically the unit is perfect, not a scratch or dent on the thing and it comes with a one year factory warranty. And AC4L's CS is top-notch...I had the thing at my door in two days(FL-NJ). I haven't had a chance to test it out because I still don't have the 61" Samsung LED DLP nor a Blu-Ray player. The 5002 doesn't have the new hi-res surround formats so I'll have to buy a Blu-Ray with the those decoders...no big deal.

Let me say this(and this is coming from someone who installed DD/DTS HT's for two friends several years ago), the new AVR's are much more complicated. I've been reading the 5002's manual quite a bit and it has had me scratching my head on quite a few occasions. Hopefully it's won't be as bad when I'm actually performing the procedures but the manual is kinda confusing and vague.

ratm

Agent
Real Name
Matt

Much like me Kevin. I was leaning towards HK till I kept reading about their quality control issues.

reierme

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
What does it runs a bit warm mean? Also, since my PS3 decodes itself, do I need to concern myself with my digital cable box upscaling or decoding? Will I still get 1080p with my cable after I run it to my receiver? If I get an axiom surround set-up, what kind of watts per channel should I be looking for in a receiver to power these speakers?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Un-distorted power (meaning a good amp section) is more important than the actual number. After you purchase your speakers, an e-mail to Axiom would be a wise move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks