Onkyo GWX5.1

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ChuckSolo, Jul 8, 2003.

1. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I recently saw this surround system, the Onkly GWX5.1 surround system listed on Outpost.com for $99.99. The unit has no DVD player, and the amplifier and Dolby 5.1 and DTS decoders are built into the subwoofer. It has 25 watts per channel. Has anyone had experience with this unit? I am looking to get this for my Dad since he already has a great Sony stereo system and Panasonic DVD player. He lives in a mobile home park so the 25 watts per channel power is about all he could use given the thin walls of his home. Actually, all I am really looking for is a 5.1 and DTS decoder and speakers. I don't think his Sony receiver will accept the 5.1 or DTS signals, hence the reason I am interested in this Onkyo system. Thanks.

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Just a follow-up to this. The unit arrived on Monday the 14th and I was pretty impressed when I opened the package. The unit is pretty unique and sets up in a matter of minutes. I was all prepared to go to Radio Shack and get an optical or coaxial digital cable when I noticed that an optical digital cable was included in the box! I had the system set up in a matter of minutes. The surround speakers came complete with almost 30 feet of wire and this made it a snap to run the wires under his carpet and up the rear walls for optimal surround placement. After completing the setup, I put in the "Gladiator" DVD I had bought him and was astonished at the sound this HTS produced. I chose the DTS sound option on the disk and the sound was amazing. Unfortunately we had to turn the unit down because we could hear the neighbors making comments and it was too hot to shut the doors. The only issues I have with the unit are that the bass response from the subwoofer doesn't really come on until you really crank the unit up and it only has an input for one device. That's OK though because that's all my Dad needs. I can honestly say though, that for the price, this unit rocks.