Onkyo DVD players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre Aguiar, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

Anyone have any experience with Onkyo's DVD players? I'm looking to upgrade my Toshiba since it doesn't play any burned audio cds or mp3 discs.

I was looking at the DV-S555. It would look beautifully with my Onkyo CD changer and Onkyo TX-DS797 receiver.

It doesn't have progressive scan but neither does my Toshiba 36" TV so thats not really important for me.

Anyone?
    Andre

2. JordanW

JordanW Extra

Hi Andre,
    I have yet to see a newer Onkyo, such as the DV-S555, have a problem with cd-r/rw discs. Therefore, you should feel fairly safe with any of these. I have just this week replaced my old Onkyo DV-C601 6-disc DVD changer with a JVC progressive scan unit. The DV-C601, as well as many of the older Onkyo single-disc units had a lot of problems with cd-r/rw discs. Mine even had trouble with REAL music cds since the day I bought it, and most recently began having trouble with DVDs. It now takes about 5+ times of turning the unit off and back on to play a DVD. I'm not really complaining or anything....the unit is about 2 years old now and used probably 1000s of times, so it served it's time. [​IMG] Anyhow, I say that you should have no problems out of the new onkyo's.....just steer clear of the older models.
    -- JordanW

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Hey Andre,

I used to own 2 Onkyo DV-S535's. They were both top notch players in the video and audio department's. The only reason I got rid of them is they didn't play my CD-R's. I now own a more expensive Toshiba SD-9200 and at more than double the price of the Onkyo the video isn't really that much better, all though my sound is. I've been through quite a few dvd players and if I was too pick the best value, it would probably be the Onkyo. I also preferred it to the Pioneer Elite DV-C36(also more expensive) that I used to own.

One interesting note: I did an A/B comparison with my DV-S535 and the DV-C501. The picture looked about the same but the audio in the DV-S535 was astoundingly better.

How much is the DV-S555 going for?

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

You can get the Onkyo DV-S555 from One Call right now for $270, shipped. One Call is an authorized e-tailor, so the warranty is good.

5. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

I just checked Onecall's website and they don't have the DV-S555 listed but they do have the DV-S535 on there.

I did check Onkyo's site and the 555 does indeed play MP3's VCDs and is CDR/W compatible. The only thing that its lacking is Progressive scan (but my Toshiba 36" doesn't support that so its no biggie). It does have a subwoofer output though (for those who don't have a receiver can still experience the subwoofer option).

And the other nice feature is it has 192khz/24bit on all channels. First time I saw that on a DVD player.

I'll shop around, I might just get this unit. It will complement the rest of my Onkyo equipment.