Onkyo DV-CP802

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by vasia, Sep 6, 2004.

1. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Does anyone have this unit? Specifically, how does it compare to Denon DVD-2200, which is the only other universal DVD in the same price range?

I could not find any data on the specifics of this unit, but I found this: http://www.electronichouse.com/default.asp?NodeId=2125
    Its about Integra 8.5, which is generally assumed to be CP802 plus couple of extras. It lists DACs as being Wolfson and video DAC as being 108MHz/12-bit. Onkyo site does not mention DACs at all and lists video DAC as being 10-bit. Does anyone know which is true and how would Wolfson DAC, which I assume is also in the Onkyo, compare to Denon?

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

All onkyo's use Wolfson (a Scottish company) DACs. Of course, the quality of the DAC may vary from model to model.

If it is "sound" you are after, the Wolfson DACs are usually considered very good. They dont get much press in this country (USA), however they are highly rated over seas. Arcam and Cambridge Audio being the most notable manufacturers using them.

The 2200 has never been praised for its sound. Denon is more in the "features" market. Their higher-end products (2900, 5900) do have good video performance though. Onkyo has never been known for its video.

3. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Hi Rob,
    Thank you for the reply. I do not have HDTV setup, so I don't think I need a very "high end" video performance, it just has to be decent. From what I understand good DVD-only players with all the latest "goods" are also rather inexpensive these days, so if I decide to go HDTV, it would not be very difficult to upgrage video section. So, I am primarily interested in best DVD-Audio and SACD with decent picture quality and occasional CD (I am also getting a dedicated CD player). With these priorities would you go for DVD-2200 or CP802?

4. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I would easily go with the 802.

There is also a 502 coming out. Im not sure if its just a single-disc version of the 802, or something completely different. (We should know more by the weekend.)

5. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

That sounds interesting, since I do not really need a carousel.