Onkyo DV-CP802

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bob_Hitson, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    Has anyone heard anything about this new 6-disk Universal DVD changer?

To me it looks like the Integra DPC-7.5 with the addition of SACD and DVD-A. Hopefully the video section is better.

I notice they are in-stock at OneCall.

2. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    Has anyone heard anything about this new 6-disk Universal DVD changer?

To me it looks like the Integra DPC-7.5 with the addition of SACD and DVD-A. Hopefully the video section is better.

I notice they are in-stock at OneCall.

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I dont think they are actually "in stock". I didnt call though. Ill pass since they have a bad return policy. J&R has them listed as coming soon. Circuit City might also get them soon as they are currently clearing out their existing stock.

I dont think video will be any better than the integra. From the description/specs at Onkyo' site, it looks like priority was given to the audio side. Typical Onkyo - top shelf audio (just what Im looking for).

This changer could be a real winner. Price-point is perfect for a uni changer with good BM (compare it to the 1500). Im looking forward to see how tweakable the BM/TA actually is (or even if there is any).

Info is scarce. I cant find a detailed press release or an on-line manual anywhere. Someone needs to pester both Onkyo and Circuit City for details.

4. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    I received a black one from OneCall yesterday afternoon.

The video output looks good, the interlacer is better than my RP-91, but I haven't really tested the video section heavily yet. It was simple to do a color/tint/brightness cal using DVE, but it does have a little overscan.

Both DVD-A and SACD sound really good out of the box. My wife noticed and improvement from my RP-91 and SCD-CE775. For me, this the most important thing!

For multi-channel, all speakers can be configured as small or large(unlike previous Onkyo models) and set for output level and distance. But the manual doesn't mention specific crossover points, and distance adjustments don't work for SACD.

Regarding the crossover, the manual only states that if your speakers have a 6.5" woofer or higher run it as large.

One point... So far when using chain playback the DV-CP802's been successful at getting my DVD-A discs to play without any help.

There are also video circuit disable switch, screensaver, time remaining indicator, chain playback mode, and random playback mode.

It is a large unit, 18" X 5" X 18.5" and 16 lbs.

So far, I'm definately pleased with the unit.[​IMG]

5. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I was wrong.

Good job. You may just have the first unit. You are now the expert. Give it a run-thru this weekend.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Does this have the chroma bug?

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Does this have the chroma bug?

8. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    Well, I haven't noticed it, but I haven't looked extensively.

There is a review for the predecessor Integra DPC-7.4 changer at the Secrets website.

This unit seems to pass blacker-than-black so there were apparently at least a few changes made from that unit.

9. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    Well, I haven't noticed it, but I haven't looked extensively.

There is a review for the predecessor Integra DPC-7.4 changer at the Secrets website.

This unit seems to pass blacker-than-black so there were apparently at least a few changes made from that unit.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

How is the layer change?

I'm really interested in this player since my last changer(the 6915 from Toshiba) was a pile of dung.

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

How is the layer change?

I'm really interested in this player since my last changer(the 6915 from Toshiba) was a pile of dung.

12. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    Layer change isn't invisible, but it's not bad.

13. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    Layer change isn't invisible, but it's not bad.

14. Steve Bogo

Steve Bogo Auditioning

Bob: Any more thoughts on this player? I pre-ordered one from J&R, they said they would be in stock in about 10 days. Advance word is this player is past awesome. I have always had good luck with Onkyo.

15. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

I hooked mine up over the past weekend, so far very impressed. great picture, sound , and the hi-rez audio sounds great. A very solid machine. I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a universal changer. Well worth the price.

16. John Sun

John Sun Agent

How is the actual changer speed and operation? I own a Panny CP72 changer and owned a Sony 555ES. Both are/were frustratingly slow to the point where I could have easily switched discs on a single disc player in the same or less amount of time.

17. Mike!S

Mike!S Stunt Coordinator

I find the machine to run very efficently and smoothly. Dvds and Cds load up almost instantly. and the changer moves at a decent spped as well. Being able to load a disc while one is still playing is als o a plus. another cool feature is the Chain and Shuffle modes will play anything or everything thrown at it.