onkyo digital audio question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by victor.b, Nov 14, 2005.

1. victor.b

victor.b Auditioning

Hi, I have an Onkyo 7.1 reciever with the matching onkyo 6 dvd changer. I have the audio hooked up with the (orange) digital coax cable, and the audio works wonderfully through the surround. However when i turn on speaker set B (speakers in the ceilings around the house) there is no audio in B, speaker A still plays however. Does anyone know why? i can't figure it out.

2. John S

John S Producer

I'd try the analog L/R input and see if it helps.

Not real familure, but many AVR's when using them in a 2nd zone intallation will only do so from an analog source.

3. victor.b

victor.b Auditioning

Well I have tried that and it does work, however I would like the dvd to be digital. That is what the 7.1 is for, and it would be terrible if i couldn't use it. I'm afraid you are right about speaker b being analog though. Is there a way to have A digital and B analog at the same time? thanks!

4. John S

John S Producer

In a second zone it should be fine. You have to have both hooked up. Not on most 7.1 AVR's there are not enough amps to have both 7.1 and 2 channel second zone. You run 5.1 in the theater and 2.0 to the zone via analog source.

5. victor.b

victor.b Auditioning

that is how it works, yes: 5.1 and 2 channel on speaker B. I agree the second zone should work. But i'm still not sure why. surely someone here has this setup or similar, and would know why. thanks

6. John S

John S Producer

I have done many 2nd zones....

Usually hooking both digital and analog gets around the issue completely.

Can you post the exact model number of the AVR, I'd be willing to go searching for the manual and attempt to help further with it.

7. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

There should be an option to turn on your second zone. Check your manual. 2nd zone will likely be unpowered unless you tell the amp to power it.
    do you have surround coming through these speakers when you are on 7.1 mode?
    If this is the problem you can find a copy of your owners manual and how to setup zone 2 amplified output.
    http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/own...m?cat=Receiver
    good luck