Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angelo_c, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Angelo_c

Angelo_c Auditioning

Onkyo TX-DS797, Denon 3802/3801, Yamaha RX-V1000/1200

It is between these brand models that my decision of you other owners of these products think about them . And also the comparison between the sound and performance.

I know it is upto me, but i really want the owners of these models to have a say about them..

I am currently leaning towards the 797 , But the Yamaha 1200

sounds a bit more promising. I mean i am more on the HT side, but my Dad loves the music..

I'm not sure abnout the Denon, i mean i don't think the 3802 will be needed as. As i have no need / space for a 7.1 reciever.. And THX is a good thing for the Onkyo.

So any suggestions on the best buy.. I must admit though they are all great brands and models...So in the end the final deciusion lies on how it sounds to me etc....

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I have the 3802 and love it. Period! Great machine/made in Japan=the quality shows!
    The Sony DA5ES should be at the top of your list for $899-$989. This beast has an equalizer for every channel. And is about the heaviest rcvr on the market. It has everything the Onkyo and Denon has plus a bunch of extra stuff. Only 6 amps/but there is only 6 channels of discrete sound. So that's all you need.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Me, myself, and I: I wouldn't buy a Sony receiver. S&V did a 3 receiver review a few months back. The Sony was underpowered compared to the other 2 (and, not just compared to the other 2, but compared to its own specs). And, even the Sony N9000ES amp is under powered:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/fram...AN9000ES.shtml
    (Although when I just tried the above link, didn't go anywhere...)
    Same thing: the N9000ES amp didn't even meet its own specs for output when you consider THD. And, the reviewer went through 2 of them before he got one that worked right.

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Well I am not an owner of any of those. I do however have experience with all of them. To start out I do not like Yamaha. I set up a friends system who had a Yamaha receiver and it never sounded right. Plus he had alot of problems with it. I think they put way too much useless processing in those. The Denon is very nice and would have no hesitation in reccomending it. The Onkyo would be my second choice. They make fabulous products. But if it were me, I would check out Marantz. I have the SR-9200 and am beyond happy with it. It is so detailed on music and blows me away on Home Theatre. Check their line out. Maybe the 8200 would do you good.

5. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

hey jeff, thems fightin' words!!!
    seriously though i have just an entry level yamaha receiver and am very, very happy with it. it was relatively inexpensive and does eveything i want it to quite well. those useless digital processing gizmos can actually be quite tasteful and work quite well. i think it's wrong to dismiss any manufacturer out of hand like that.
    especially when it happens to be the manufacturer of the receiver i own!!! [​IMG]

6. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I would certainly go with a 797, it is THX certified, so you have a guaranteee of stable clean power. It also soudns excellent in stereo, very warm sounding. In HT, it will never let you down, even at ear bleeding levels. It also has many more inputs than the rest, the Yammie might have a few more though. The 797 also has higher quality DAC's and a much more ergonomic remote.

7. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

I was considering the same ones as you.

I went with Yammi 1200 and I am very happy.

Great quality, sound, features.

It has everything I wanted and was the best price too.

Also, if you're running all your speakers from the receiver and you like to listen loud, the others tested lower with all channels driven than the Yammi.

It has a very robust power supply.

Best deal for the money I think.

8. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

I own the Denon 3802, and think it's one of the best sounding receivers in it's price range.

Frankly, I think THX certification means squat these days. All it really means is that the manufacturer paid THX enough $$$ for the certification, so they can bump the price. This does not mean a receiver without the THX logo will sound any worse, or contains inferior parts.

I found the Denon to be much warmer and full-sounding than the Onkyo. The Onkyo just sounded too harsh - a bit thin, comparatively.

I do think they are both great receivers - But don't buy one based on the THX logo alone.

-Ryan

9. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I compared the 3802 and the 797 and went with the Onkyo.

They are very similar, though I liked the sound of the Onkyo better. I also like the speaker set-up ease with the 797 and the remote is VERY nice if you don't already have a big universal remote.

10. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Angelo, I will add that I also think that it depneds on the type of speakers you have ?? To me you should mate your reciever with the right speakers. I have had the onkyo 797 and denon 3801..I like them both but with my nht speakers and my preference for music first, I chose the denon, Having said that the Onkyo was fantastic on home theater especially..The onkyo seemed a bit sharper, and the denon a little fuller..whats your preference on the "type" of sound ? bright, warm, lots of bass, or detail etc..

11. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

I have one of the best jobs especially bein an enthusiast ... i am exposed to these receivers every day and sell most of the receivers mentioned on this forum .... out of all ive had a lot of experience with both denon and yamaha as well as pioneer ....... two lines shine to me ..... yamaha and denon ... been trained by a both reps and have no bias .... though im fully aware of how subjective audio is .... the denon line is just awesome .... 2802 and up .... upcoming 5803 is goin to be sweet ....... and in all honesty when this line first came out i felt no other receivers stacked up very well .... all are solid and well rounded receivers ... yamaha evened out the playing field with this new line out ... 1200 2200 and just a week ago the 3200 ...... ive sold both and as far as initial setup the denon is by far the simplest to setup ..... though the yamahas were a lil less user friendly i thought it was mainly due to the fact that it is more adaptable to the room ..... its not just the "useless" dsp modes but channel by channel equalization ..... and the dsp modes are actually quite nice ... though rated modestly compared to the denon line ... check out the power supply .... and the yamahas have a higher bandwidth component video switching 60mhz as apposed to 50 in the denons ........ i a/b these every day .... blind test to all customers and id have to say the yamahas win over 6 out of 10 of my customers .... and me as a enthusiast and shoppin myself ..... it took me 4 months to decide a/b'ing

every chance i get listening to all kinds of demo material ... and well this entry tells you the answer ..... by the way .... every speaker i used to demo was reference

line boston, energy, klipsch, polk, etc. etc. hope this helps ........

12. Mark Amayao

wantedf to continue on my reply concerning THX certification .... yamaha technology is very proprietary none of it is shared with the THX pool of manufacturers ..... "........mismatched speakers?" take a look at the yamaha .....

13. Angelo_c

Angelo_c Auditioning

Well my speakers are:

Acoustic Research AR S50 (Fronts)

AR SC2 (centre

and the AR S10 (for rears)

I am more into detail and warm sounding recievers...

I am greatful for all the replies, but still am not fully convinced of which one to get....

I mean i am still leaning for the 797 because of some reviews and the packed features it has compared to the Denon.

But for warm and detail sounds. The Yamaha might produce it better...

Any suggestions

14. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

I have the Yamaha RX-V1200. I love it. My personal preference would be Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo last.

The Yamaha and Denon was a tough decision, but I use almost exclusively fo HT and I thought at purchase time (and still do) that Yammie had the edge in that department. The Denon is good gear, but if you are serious about the Onkyo I would definintely go for the Integra line. My $.02

15. Mark Amayao

since i did decide on the yamaha rxv1200 for myself ... i have no regrets .... warmth and dynamics are all there ....

one scene in tarzan "sabor attacks" ...... was where i noticed the difference between the denon and yamaha ... i noticed a little bit more depth and immersiveness in the yamaha ...... the same depth i noticed in "hotel california" - hell freezes over EAGLES ..... music is awesome in this receiver ..... and those so called "useless"

dsp modes ........ i do prefer pure direct decoding with no manipulation ... i love dts soudtracks ..... i tend to use the dsp modes for dolby dig. sometimes ......

give them a try ... close your eyes and forget about what kind of room youre in .... immerse yourself into the picture ..... theyll grow on you like fungus! enjoy!!!!

16. Angelo_c

Angelo_c Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestion...

Now it makes my decision even more complicated...lol

But i appreciate it.

17. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

One thing to keep in mind is that Yamaha is top notch in terms of reliability and/or build quality. This is coming from woodman over at Audioreview, who has been servicing audio equipment for something like 50 years.

Good luck!

18. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I have personally compared all 3 of those receivers and will recomend you the 3802 without hesitation. THX does not guarantee power as many tests have proven that.

Also if you can stretch your budget a bit, check out the Onkyo 898. That receiver is a very good one and can be had for $1100 delivered from Onecall.com.

But of the three you mentioned, go for the 3802.

19. EricK

EricK Second Unit

If you want cutting edge...then go for Denon...also they are TOP quality recievers. I can't say anything bad about them.

Onkyo also makes great stuff. With Onkyo, they use oversize transformers and power supplies, so you know you are getting the power ratings as advertised. No complaint here on Onkyo stuff.

Finally, while I haven't had a lot of experience with Yamaha, I would rank them last of these three. Yamaha makes some good quality stuff but I think they put way too much time into designing sound fields and dsp modes. Also the last Yamaha I calibrated did not allow you to seperately set the spl levels of each individual speaker, rather it did them as pairs - bad idea. Maybe that has changed with their newer models. However with Yamaha I believe they are the lesser $$ of the three. so you can save some cash here.

Eric.