What's new

Onkyo buyers remorse or...? (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I bought an Onkyo TX-SR600, i had done some research but it was kind of a spur of the moment decision. I'm now reading more and more posts that say its under powered with all channels driven. Something like 35wpc all channels driven. The good news it i did buy it at Circuit City and still have about 15 days left to return or exchange it, i was looking at the Denon AVR-1803 how does the sound compare? I've always liked the Onkyo sound, my first jump into HT was an Onkyo TX-DS474 which now powers my computer speakers. If there are any other models in that $500 range with 6.1, how much more would i have to spend to get pre-outs? Also i have Polks. I hope this is enough info.
thanks

jay

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
You might want to check out the Yamaha RX-V630 does 6.1 has preout's for all channels true 75x6 power and easy to use I've got the next step up from it but amplifier and processor are the same and I love it.

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
IMO - try out the denon 1803 or the HK receiver in that price range . i am assuming you are going to exchange it at circuit city .

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Jassen-

I have had the TX-SR600 since June of last year, but mine was not a spur-of-the-moment purchase. I researched it for several months before 'pulling the trigger'. It seems like the day after I made my purchase I started hearing all of the stuff about the 600 being underpowered. I did start to get skittish ... (This is starting to sound like one of those well-worn threads from last year :b - sorry). ANYway, you couldn't tell it by me. I have had nothing but pure pleasure with mine, and while my setup is far from 'audiophile' in the purist sense of the word, We are really enjoying it. I'm running said receiver, JBL NSP1 w/ JBL PB12 sub, Toshiba 50H81 Widescreen and Panny RP56 DVD player.
Good luck with your decision.
:)

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
Jassen,

If you've always liked the Onkyo sound and if what you hear is powerful enough for you, then why ditch it?

And no remorse for me with my 797, getting better by the day actually, with no signs of bug or anything. :)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a 797, the one with famed ticking and dropouts. I have not experienced any ticking and have had mine for about 14 months. I love it. It's driving a pair of A/D/S 4ohm towers and Definitive Technology center and surrounds. I'm love to listen loud, and the 797 hasn't failed me. The first time I heard an Onkyo, it was the 595(600 replaced it) and I was so impressed. Anyway, it's up to you, take the 600 down to someplace that has the Denon and A/B the two. I think you will find that the Onkyo sounds better with stereo and it seems more powerful than the Denon.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Only the newer Onkyos (400, 500, 600, 700) have been deemed "underpowered." Maybe underpowered is not the right word, "not true to specs" is more accruate.

I have a Marantz SR7200 (also deemed "underpowered") and it is plenty loud for me. An musically it is SUBERB!

So trust your ears, not the specs.

Chris

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about what you've read on this board; you have to take everything with a generous grain of salt, and you have to realize that it is very easy to spend time debating objective measurements like Watt specifications but much more difficult to question or debate how something sounds.

Trust your ears.

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Onkyo SR600 even after reading the "underpowered" threads. It has plenty of other features that make it stand out in its price range. While researching here at HTF I found a link to C.M. Collins SPL Calculator. Plugging in my room parameters and 32W power still put me over 100dB. That is plenty loud for me.

I have it matched up with the JBL NSP1-II package and a Sony WM40 sub and it sounds great.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Thanks all, i think i'm keeping it I was watching X-Men 1.5 yesterday and it sure is powerful enough i thought i was going to have to put up some new sheet rock.

jay

Jimmy vb

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my SR 600 for almost a year and am delighted with it. One can get mixed signals when reading too much about audio equipment. It isn't designed to be read about. Hooked up with a good powered sub in a medium sized room I never but never push the limits of the thing--it rocks the house with full rich sound and lots of features for the price. I also have an older Denon that I love for stereo and it has a different sound--not better or worse--but different.

Listen to it closely up until your deadline and if you don't like what you HEAR--take it back. Test it out with some good reference dvds and let that be your guide. You can easily overload on reviews and opinions on sites like these. I used to have a Yamaha receiver that I got rid of and did not really like much at all. I still respect and believe the folks with Yamahas who love them--it really can be a matter of taste with these things.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Reading won't help sound,I put onkyo,denon side by side.After comparing the 898 to 3802,I left onkyo.The first onkyo I had was 656,then 777,then 898,they progressively sounded worse.I got the 3802 to try,first time for denon product,first thing I noticed was no more hissing.It was very easy to hear the diff in music,movies less so.I wanted the 898 because all my stuff was onkyo,and I liked the looks,but after hearing the 3802 I knew I was going to have to start over.This was my experience and yours may be different.The best way to know is test at home side by side.

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't help but respond to this thread as I believe that the Onkyo bashing is well deserved. I bought a 797 and while no clicking it did have audio drop outs. To Kyle have you tried "Pearl Harbor" in Dolby. If it doesn't have sound drop out then you were lucky enough to buy one that was manufactured after they discovered the bug. The fact that they kept selling the 696, 797, 898, and several of their Integra receivers that contained the bug long after it was discovered is enough to bash them. All of the recievers should have been recalled and they were for all intensive purposes selling remanufactured receivers as they all needed repaired before the were purchased. They just simply passed what should have been their loss onto the consumer. While, I liked the sound of the Onkyo, the 3803 that I had to replace it was like night and day. This is just my humble opinion.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I have no remorse buying my Onkyo.. But I believe that
aside from the 989 I have one of the last "good" Onk's..

Before all these new model numbers if you wanted the best
Onk had to offer it was the 787 or the 989... I opted for
the 787 (the 989 is great but that's approaching seperates
prices) the 787 is smooth, warm, absolutely deliteful and
not underrated... And I have never had any clicks, pops or
dropouts or hiss... The thing weighs 45Lbs and it's been
rock solid for the 2 years I have owned it..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks