What's new

Onkyo AVR606 setting for just music (1 Viewer)

Dplay

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Fulton
Hello. New here. I have an Onkyo AVR606 and I have to sets of speakers just to play music on my patio and by the pool area. I just bought some new Bose speakers and they sound "tinny". Not enough base. So I cannot figure out how to adjust sound on this AV receiver. No matter what I do nothing changes. Switching to different listening presets, etc. Maybe I'm not saving the setting correctly, I dont know. But I have a suspicion that the receiver is not putting out full power. It is a 7.1 surround unit but I'm not really using it for that anymore. Can anyone tell if maybe the unit is set to project sound to 7 speakers and not four thus less power. I'm just a novice but have always had a receiver. Again I cannot get any sound profiles to select. Its just too much treble and I know the bose can play some bass. The only other thing is it goes thru a speaker selection box. I don't know if that matters for sound qualtiy. Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did you actually buy the Bose speakers used? Bose cubes can't be used without the bass module they come with, which applies massive EQ in an effort to make sound decent, plust they're not capable of anything approaching bass, which is why they have the bass module.

Dplay

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Fulton
Did you actually buy the Bose speakers used? Bose cubes can't be used without the bass module they come with, which applies massive EQ in an effort to make sound decent, plust they're not capable of anything approaching bass, which is why they have the bass module.
These are Bose 151E environmental (outdoor) speakers.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Go into the Speaker Config setting and turn off all the speakers not being used including the sub. My guess is that the receiver is setup for a sub and is now sending all the bass to a non existing sub.

For future outdoor speakers look at Definitive Technology or similar companies. Not Bose. Bose made a fortune from brilliant marketing of a subpar product.

B-Buy
O-Other
S-Speaker
E-Equipment

Brian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I hadn’t thought about the subwoofer being activated. That’s likely the main problem.

Dplay

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Fulton
I was able through the remote control to access (and change settings). The subwoofer was set at 2 and I was able to "up" the bass and treble and the sound is a little better. I looked at the back of the unit and my next question is with regard to the speaker input. There are obviously inputs for center, surround, surround back, and front. I am using a speaker control center to control sound to patio, pool, or both patio and pool. So there is one set of speaker wire that goes into the receiver. Which of the inputs should the wire go into? Again, I am not using this for the TV. Strictly for music that I stream. 2 sets of speakers. Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to set the subwoofer to "Off" or "None". This should automatically set the Front speakers to "Large" or possibly you won't be able to turn the subwoofer off until the front speakers are set to "Large". Different manufacturers work differently.

Dplay

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Fulton
You need to set the subwoofer to "Off" or "None". This should automatically set the Front speakers to "Large" or possibly you won't be able to turn the subwoofer off until the front speakers are set to "Large". Different manufacturers work differently.
Ok I will also check that. Sub is off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks