onkyo and polk

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by jon_ad, Apr 8, 2004.

1. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

i just bought my parents an onkyo 501 to start their home theater. i am looking at polk rti4 or rti6 for mains and csi3 center. will these be a good match for the onkyo. also are the rti6s worth the extra money over the rti4s.

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I auditioned those polks with my Onkyo 600. The sound was good, but they were a tad on the bright side. However, not as bright as my Infinitys. I would go with the 6s over the 4s for the mains. The 4s lacked the mid-level punch. You will still need a sub in the system. If you go with the 4s, you will have to set the crossover high (100~120), which will overwork the sub. Dont bother with the larger polks (8,10,12, whatever), I dont think you have the power.

The 600's power drove the system (rti6+rti4+csi3) nicely in my small~midsize room. Im not sure how much less power the 501 has.

All in all, I decided to return the Polks and sell the infinitys. I wanted a nice, smoother sound for music listening (bright is OK for HT viewing). I ended up with B&W speakers. I also traded up to the Onkyo 800 so I could run larger speakers all around. I even picked up an onkyo 2-channel 100w amp cause thay are dirt cheap now, and of course, has the same sound as my receiver's amp (thay are the same).