What's new

Onkyo and 4 ohm speakers? (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I have an Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver and I was wondering if it will handle 4 ohm speakers? Do any of you have any experience driving 4 ohm speakers with this unit (or a similar Onkyo unit)?

The reason I ask is, I'm interested in building a set of Adire Audio Kit281 speakers but they are a 4 ohm design. I have seen the Web site of someone that built a set of these speakers and he is driving them with a TX-DS696 Onkyo receiver. Is there much of a difference between my reciever and that one? Does the '696 have the 4/8 ohm switch?

I do currently have a JBL truck box speaker connected to this receiver for the center channel (stop laughing) and I imagine that it's a 4 ohm speaker. I don't appear to be having any problems after having it connected for over a year but I guess having five 4 ohm speakers would create a greater strain on the amplifier transisters than just one.

Thank you.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just got an Onkyo 797 which might have a little larger power supply, but not too much different. I am driving 4ohm ADS tower speakers up front which killed my Pioneer receiver(literally, it could not handle it and went into protection, I used to drive it with a two channel Yamaha amp). I was worried about the 797 and I was going to buy a Denon because I had heard they had a better time with 4ohm speakers but WOW, the 797 has never failed me, even at ear bleeding volumes, it pumps out clean clear sound without the slightest faint of strain. I'd say you should be ok, but then again, I only have two, although my Definitive tech speakers are "4-8ohm". Try it out, and if it does not work, then you will jsut have to by an amp or bigger receiver.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I guess it may be worth a try. I just don't want to fry the power supply inside it (I really doubt that will happen though).
I noticed on this Web site that a TX-DS696 is driving the speakers just fine so I have a feeling mine will as well.
http://www.geocities.com/hprowland/kit281.htm
I also see that a Yamaha RX-V795a is also driving those speakers as well and I see no mention of 4 ohm speakers in the operating manual for that receiver (available online at Yamaha's Web site).
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/krausht.html
I guess the alternative would be to go with the Adire Kit81. I received an e-mail from Dan Wiggins from Adire Audio and he poitned out the Kit81 uses a single 8" driver and is rated at 8 ohms.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I just looked a little closer at the instruction manuals for those two receivers and discoverd that they both do have the 4ohm/8ohm switches on the back. Typical...

Maybe I will look into the Kit81 as an alternative. I just wish there was a matching center channel speaker that is horizontally oriented.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Just an update...

I got an e-mail response today from Onkyo USA:

We normally do not suggest running 4 ohm loads with our receivers. We find that our receivers work best with 6 to 8 ohm loads. The unit will be able to handle the 4 ohm load, but do not run the unit for extended periods at loud volumes.
Huh... I wish I knew what they meant by "loud volumes." I always listen well below reference level. Reference level on that receiver is 62 (on a volume scale from 0-80) and I usually listen to movies at 38-44 (generally right at 40). I do sometimes have the volume up to about 55 or so when listening to two channel music though.

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
I have the Integra version of the 777 (DTR-7). I ran 4-ohm speakers on it for a year with no problems, before upgrading my speaks.
The 777 and DTR-7 do not have selectable ohm switches on them. You will be okay running 4-ohm speakers, just make sure you give enough clearance on the top of and around your receiver for heat to escape.
Onkyo recommends against it for liability reasons.

David_ME

Auditioning
todd,

i have an integra 5.2 and a pair of reynaud twins that vary from 3.4 to 12 (i think thats the high end) and i have listened for hours on end at what i think are loud volumes and the receiver has never gotten hot or shown signs of strain. it think with the bigger 777 you shouldn't have any problems. oh and i keep it on the 8 ohms switch.

david

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Cool guys... thanks for the input. I think I may just go ahead and order those speakers then. I had better wait until my tax refund arrives though.
I will probably go with 3 Adire Audio Kit281's (4-ohm) for the front and 2 Kit81's (8-ohm) for the rears. Everything that I've read about them makes me want to go ahead and build a set for myself.
http://www.adireaudio.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks