Onkyo +amp & Amp from Ebay questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Larkins, Jan 29, 2002.

1. David_Larkins

Hello All,

I have 2 questions for those of you who are knowledgeable in separates...

1) I have an Onkyo 676 receiver, and I'd like to add a separate amp for the mains. The manual for the unit says that separate amps can be added, but the only example given is that 4 amps are added (mains, center, surround, and sub) and it says to switch off speaker A. What I want to do is just add 1 amp for the mains, and still let the receiver amp handle the center and surround (sub has built in amp).

Can I do that? I can, right?

2) I am considering for that separate amp the Adcom GFA-555. Is this a good choice? I think that I can get one on e-bay for around $350 +/-. Should I be concerned with the purchase of a 10 year old amp? Other than the obvious of asking about the condition of the specific one I buy...

Provided it is in 'like new' condition should I still be hesitant?

thanks for your help,

David

2. David_Larkins

bump.

please help.

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

1) You should be just fine usuing a 2 channel amp leaving the switch set to speaker A. In my experience switching it off also turns off the sub.
    2)I don't see why not. I did see a 6 month old Rotel 1070 for $400 a couple of weeks ago on www.audiogon.com