Onkyo 989 vs 797 or 898

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I'm having a hard time justifying the cost difference between the 989 and the current 787... vs waiting to see what the 797 and 898 have to offer (when they're finally released).
    I am (s l o w l y) putting together a 5.1 HT setup... and don't even have speakers yet.
    Assuming that cost is an important consideration but not necessarily the deciding factor, why would I want/need the 989 over the other receivers?
    I don't want to spend more than I need to... but neither do I want to shortchange myself by purchasing less than I should! How to decide?
    ------------------
    --RR

2. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

If you are spending that much money, wait for Discrete. I just got the 696, cause I have no use for EX or DTS -ES for several years. However, I weighed that heavily against getting one of the two new recievers. YMMV on whay you can do w/o [​IMG]
    Try this..
    http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....+Audio&STT=000
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

3. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

One feature that the 797/898 will have that the 989 does not have is composite to s-video conversion (YC Separator/Mixer). If that feature would be usefull to you and you don't need the extra power of the 989 then the 798/898 would be a good choice.
    Jay
    [Edited last by Jay_E on July 28, 2001 at 09:53 AM]

4. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    One of the big benefits of the 989 is upgradeability. 989 owners got the upgrade to DPLII and DTS-ES Discrete for $50. Most had to buy a whole new receiver. The 989 also has a upgrade slot for IEEE-1394. This is significant if you have an interest in DVD-Audio. I saw a news article that said the 1394 upgrade would be available in September. Of course would would need the Onkyo DVD-Audio player, also upgradeable to 1394, to take advantage of it.

5. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Where have we heard of any 898?
    ------------------
    .... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

6. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Look at the link above from Matt.
    Jay

7. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Thanks, Jay! I must have been sleeping when I read that article! :-/
    ------------------
    .... "just me up on my pony on my boat".