1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Onkyo 989 vs 797 or 898

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I'm having a hard time justifying the cost difference between the 989 and the current 787... vs waiting to see what the 797 and 898 have to offer (when they're finally released).
    I am (s l o w l y) putting together a 5.1 HT setup... and don't even have speakers yet.
    Assuming that cost is an important consideration but not necessarily the deciding factor, why would I want/need the 989 over the other receivers?
    I don't want to spend more than I need to... but neither do I want to shortchange myself by purchasing less than I should! How to decide?
    ------------------
    --RR

2. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

If you are spending that much money, wait for Discrete. I just got the 696, cause I have no use for EX or DTS -ES for several years. However, I weighed that heavily against getting one of the two new recievers. YMMV on whay you can do w/o [​IMG]
    Try this..
    http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....+Audio&STT=000
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

3. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

One feature that the 797/898 will have that the 989 does not have is composite to s-video conversion (YC Separator/Mixer). If that feature would be usefull to you and you don't need the extra power of the 989 then the 798/898 would be a good choice.
    Jay
    [Edited last by Jay_E on July 28, 2001 at 09:53 AM]

4. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    One of the big benefits of the 989 is upgradeability. 989 owners got the upgrade to DPLII and DTS-ES Discrete for $50. Most had to buy a whole new receiver. The 989 also has a upgrade slot for IEEE-1394. This is significant if you have an interest in DVD-Audio. I saw a news article that said the 1394 upgrade would be available in September. Of course would would need the Onkyo DVD-Audio player, also upgradeable to 1394, to take advantage of it.

5. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Where have we heard of any 898?
    ------------------
    .... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

6. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Look at the link above from Matt.
    Jay

7. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Thanks, Jay! I must have been sleeping when I read that article! :-/
    ------------------
    .... "just me up on my pony on my boat".