Onkyo 919THX - Outboard decoder or new receiver??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed_S, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Ed_S

Ed_S Auditioning

Sep 4, 2000
    I have a 919THX which I love. I purchased it in 1994 or 1995 I believe. It has THX but I now would like to upgrade to 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1.

I see that other receivers with these features run about $700 and up.

Can anyone help me resolve whether I should buy an outboard processor and try to connec tit via my PIN Port or if the price will wind up being just as much as buying a new receiver in the end.

All help would be appreciated.

2. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Feb 7, 2001

Phil A Producer

Oct 1, 2000
    I formerly had an 828 in my bedroom system with the DB25 connector and a DVD player with decoders. You don't have digital inputs and there have been improvment in built in DACs over the last 2 years. With most of the decoders or DVD players you will need to make or buy a 6 RCA to DB25 cable. I make virtually all my cables and power cords and in the bedroom system I was satisfied to live with it for 18 mos. If you have to buy an adapter cable is likely is going to cost $150-250 of any decent quality and then there is the cost of the decoder and possibly an outboard DAC so I would decide budget, features, sound quality, etc. and start looking at new receivers.
  4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999
    I have this fantastic receiver myself. The 5.1 preamp and power amp sections built in the beast that is the TX-SV919THX are on par with anything built today IMO. Using the external decoder I enjoy extremely high quality audio. DVD-Audio really shines through the 919.

The problem you're going to have is buying the 6RCA-to-DB25 cable. FOrum sponsor BetterCables can make one for you for probably about $150 (I'm guessing on the price). If you have only one 5.1 source (DVD with good quality built in decoder and DACs with bass management) and this critical cable, IMO you will gain nothing but convenience with a new receiver.

Also, since your receiver has pre-amp out / power-amp in loops you could theoretically use it as a 5 channel power amp for a pre/pro like the above mentioned H/K Signature 2.0 until you get a new receiver.