What's new

Onkyo 905, can it handle AC3 ? (1 Viewer)

Automan

Auditioning
Real Name
Bo-Arne Larsson
As the title... can my Onkyo 905 handle a AC3 signal from my LD-Player ? Just wanted to know if you heard anything about that, cause i can't find anything about if it can or not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Unless it specifically has an AC-3 RF IN connection (which I doubt), you will need to have an external RF demodulator installed between the LD and your Onkyo.

Link Removed

- Walter.

Automan

Auditioning
Real Name
Bo-Arne Larsson
Thanks, that was what i thought... i guess i can't do it without that RF demodulator then, nevermind.. i havent that many AC3 LD's anyways.

Nice to watch these LD's, brings back old times.... many movies have a real great sound in them, but the picture is not that bad, it's something i wont ever sell, have to many movies.. couple of hundred i guess ;) have always liked that format, so it will stay in my homecinema.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Me, too. I have about 500 LaserDiscs and they look good enough to me on my 96" X1 to continue to enjoy. Also, they sound fairly terriffic.

RF demodulator can be somewhat expensive. Another option, if you're not particularly interested in "DVD-Audio" or "SACD" multichannel music formats, is to get an older Dolby Digital decoder which is equipped with a LD RF input and hook it up to your receiver's multichannel in. That's what I do, and it works great. Older Dolby Digital decoders can be had for fairly cheap. There's an Adcom decoder on ebay right now, I've used that model and it's quite nice.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is such a journey down amnesia lane. I had completely forgotten that a DD (AC3) output from LD was different than now. Maybe someone can remind me. The AC3 output was really just a video RF (coax) output, wasn't it? Wasn't the extra info actually in the mono audio channel or something, and the video had to be demodulated and stripped off? I've never had a LD player with an AC3 output.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Haven't played an AC-3 title in some time; but I still have a number of AC-3 and DTS LD titles that I recall as having sounded just wonderful.

- Walter.

Automan

Auditioning
Real Name
Bo-Arne Larsson

I still have the standalone decoder (Sony EP90ES) from my old setup, still have my old H/K rec and H/K signed amp etc.

I would like the clean setup i have now, but i could as you said use that decoder again.... if just for the AC3 input, hmmmm..... I really have to think about it, if it's worth hooking that unit up to all my new stuff just to get that AC3 sound. Don't get me wrong, it sounded real good what i remember, but i have a very nice dvd player and a blu-ray player in my system, and that big nice Pioneer CLD98 laserdisc player... i just have to think about if it's worth it, it wont take much space and so on, but it has a manual power-switch on the unit, and the on/off is not controlled by the remote, other then that it looks nice and have no other "faults". It's just that it feels so stoneage having to puch a button on the unit to set it on/off.... or maybe im lazy ;)

Sure miss those days when i bought movies on LD, just the right size, was real nice to look at both the cover, and pulling out those big shiny disc's.... the disc spinning up and then movietime ;) that feeling of the weight and size was perfect.
Even if they where kinda expencive, it sure felt like you bought something, not like today when you buy a dvd/blu-ray small packages and feels like you bought a music-cd by misstake or something.

Automan

Auditioning
Real Name
Bo-Arne Larsson
Moderator please erase this, no need for two post that is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks