Onkyo 898

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott VanAntwer, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Scott VanAntwer

Scott VanAntwer Auditioning

I'm considering purchasing an Onkyo 898, it has features I want and sounds great to me, but has anyone had a bad experience with this reciever or heard bad things about it. Also is the remote funtional. Thanks

Scott

2. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

I have owned this receiver for some time now and I absolutely love it. It sounds fantastic, has every feature that I could want, is very easy to setup and use, converts composite video to s-video, has seven channels of amplification built in and the remote controls every component in my system. I bought the Pronto TSU-2000 when I purchased my 898 but I returned it as I did not need it.
    Nothing that sticks out in my mind as a problem...maybe you would have better luck if you asked my apartment neighbors. I'm not sure they appreciate it as much as I do [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Jeff

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Yes/me too/ does anyone that owns this unit have any bad stuff to report???

4. Scott VanAntwer

Scott VanAntwer Auditioning

I am also currious if it can be used multi room / multi source. It says that it has a powered zone 2, but my question is can watch a dvd downstairs while someone elese listen to the radion or listen to a cd up stairs? or am I dreamin at this price range.

5. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Yes, you can watch a DVD in 5.1 in one room and stereo in another, I think, since there are seven channels of amplification and you would be using two in another room and five in the main room with the amp. I own a 797 which has the same remote, I love it, it sounds great, but I do not need 7.1, I am only running a 5,1 system so the 797 is plently for me, lots of digital inputs and features, great ergonomics, no problems whatsoever.