Is it that no one owns the 898
or everyone is still waiting for
CC to make good on their $999
offer??????
------------------
Jerry

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I own the 898 and I absolutly love it. I have Eagles Hell Freezes Over playing in the background right now...fantastic.
The sound quality is great, it's packed with features, it's very easy to use and the remote is great. I bought mine from J&R for $1049. No need to wait for CC to sell you one at $999. That was a misprint and retail stores are in no way obligated to sell something at a discounted price due to a minprint. If you can get if for that cool, if not call, or go to http://www.jandr.com.
Also check out http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/A...ct_79017.shtml for some reviews. Ignore the picture, it's not really silver. This is a great review site in general.
Thanks,
Jeff

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I'm really trying to decide if I want to go with the 898 (or maybe the 797) and buy a nice two channel amp for my mains (using the on-board Onkyo amps for all the other speakers). OR, buy an Outlaw 950, nice two channel amp (again for mains), and a relatively inexpensive 5 channel amp (I see decent used ones on Audiogon for

Pamela

Supporting Actor
My 898 from CC should be arriving the beginning of next week. The problem is, the 898 is actually not a stock item in store, but is offered on their web site. You need to aggressively follow-up on it. Ask for the manager. My local CC was great. They cancelled my store order, and re-ordered on the web site, manually adjusting the price.
Good luck!

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I had the 3801 and got it exchanged with the dealer for a 898 for free as a result of some work I did for the dealer.
I absolutely love this unit and my appreciation grows for it every single day. Very clean and crisp sounding receiver with plent of power.

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Everybody:
I also got in on the deal at C.C. and got a printed reciept. Pamela is right, its not an in-store item. Each of us who got in on the deal before the price went up, has a separate special order from onkyo to C.C. Even though C.C.'s online site has it in-stock, they said if they cancel my special order and I order it online, they WOULDN'T honor the original purchase price. Man, I ordered it on Sept. 15 and I'm still waiting. If anyone here finds out that the specialty orders have arrived.....please post.
Thanks.
John
Ventura,CA

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Pamela:
Where did you purchase yours at? I called around everywhere on socal, even in thier highend store in woodlin hills. It was funny cuz the dealer even asked me...."you've called a few times before, right???" So I know there has to be a few socal HTF people that got in on the deal.
John

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Why is everyone so concerned with buying this product at Circuit City? You can get this receiver for around the same money as the CC misprint from an authorized online dealer like J&R. You don't have to pay sales tax and half the time you can get them to throw in the shipping costs. They have this unit in stock and ready to go. You also don't get some pimply faced teenager trying to hard sell you on an extended warrenty.
Thanks,
Jeff

Paul Chiappini

Stunt Coordinator
I received my 898 last Thursday. I ordered it from Oade Bros. after getting the shaft from CC. If you want to know pricing contact Jim Oade. His email is [email protected]
I've ordered from them in the past and have had no problems. Their prices are also extremely competitive, and they are an Onkyo authorized dealer.

PaulCK

Auditioning
I worked at CC for about a year and we never honored a misprinted price in one of our ads. If you look closely you'll find a disclaimer at the bottom of every ad.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
PaulCK, to my knowledge it was never advertised, CC had it for this price in their computers.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Mike Breeden

Agent
I went to CC web site on Sunday and noticed the 898 was no longer listed but the 979 was now listed. I called again to the store to check on my order and was told that it is not in the warehouse (Western NY). I am getting ready to pull the plug and order from somewhere else.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks