What's new

Onkyo 898 vs Yahama 2200 (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
Trying to decide which of these units to purchase. I was set on the 898 until the audio problems with PH & JPIII - now I'm shying away from it. I looked at the 2200 over the weekend & it seemed like a nice piece. Just wondering if some of the epxerts could elaborate on the pros/cons of these units........

Corey W

Agent
Well for the audio problems its not only with the Onkyo 898. There is a flier that comes in the unit explaining the problem. Anyway on both of those films there are still DTS soundtracks.

I personally went with the 898 after looking around etc. Its going to get set up tommarrow along with my Acoustic Research HC6 speakers. Good luck on the decision.

Corey W.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hello Brad.

First off, I can't really comment on the Onkyo 898 as I'm not really familiar with it, but I am a huge fan of Yamaha receivers in general. My first digital receiver was a Yamaha RX-V992 and I recently upgraded to the RX-V3200 6.1 Discrete model which is 1 step up from the 2200 you're currently considering. Also, I think the rear-center channel does not have amplification built in to the receiver, hence, an additional mono-block amp may be required, but well worth it in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
the 2200 does not have thx certification. i personaly would be suprised to see a yamaha with thx. i don't think that yamaha believes in thx. to get thx certification that company has to spend big bucks. that increase is than passed on to the consumer. i take thx with a grain of salt. it would be nice to have but i certainly would not make it the deciding factor in purchasing a receiver. i am about to purchase a 2200 after trying out several other brands (denon, marantz, pioneer, sony, h.k.) all of the receivers that i tried had certain positives about them but i wound up deciding between the denon 3802 and yamaha 2200. the 2200 just sounded way to good to pass up. it has such a full sound. not as bright as they used to be either. i just looked at the onkyo on their web site and it looks like a great unit too. tough decision. listen to both real closely with hopefully your speakers. my vote goes to the yamaha but let your ears do the deciding. best of luck, let us know what you decide on.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
oh yeah, and yes the 2200 does have 6 -100watt amplified channels. not 5 or 7. i think the onkyo 898 has 7 channels but please don't quote me on that one. not 100% sure on the onkyo.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
The 898 does have 7 channels of amplification.

I got one, and am very happy with it.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
What audio problems? Those 2 or 3 or 4 DVD's that are brain dead give all rcvrs a problem in just one mode. Did I miss something on this audio problem????? Please help me if I did!
Also the 898 and 3802 are outstanding 7 amp rcvrs. 898 costs more but has dobly EX/THX EX. If you need that.
The Sony DA5ES is an outstanding 6 amp rcvr also.
So add those to your search with the 3200. The 3200 sounds like a winner.
And wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New models are coming out, and all of them should have Dolby EX at a lower cost than the old THX EX models.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks