Onkyo 898 vs Sherwood r963

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric A, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I am looking for some advice. I have a friend that I am helping with a new HT system. I had advised him to buy an Onkyo 898 but he had found the Sherwood r963. The Sherwood costs more and I have searched and found its specs but I am wondering how these two receivers would compare features, sound, user interface etc. Is there anything major that one does that the other doesn't etc? Any input would be appreciated.

2. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I would say to go with the Onkyo. Those two receivers are very closely matched in terms of features, but if you go to the Sherwood Website, the Sherwood's insides are not as impressive as the 898's. I own a 797 which is similar to an 898 and I looked into an 898 at the store. The Sherwood does not have the extensive heat sinks that the Onkyo does, and the Onkyo is THX certified and includes THX Surround EX, but other than that, they are mostly identical, but the Sherwood is not worth the extra $.

3. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Stunt Coordinator

You might want to LISTEN to both and then make a decision.

4. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Well, if for some reason you "can't" listen to both. I would recommend taking a closer look at the Onkyo. I can attest to their build quality, having transported one back and forth from college for four years without ever having a problem. I also really enjoy the intuitive feel of their products, as well as the aesthetic value. I'll be the first one to admit I don't know anything about Sherwood receivers though.

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I have owned an Onkyo and can say the one I had was outstanding/perfect/built like a tank. Consider a Denon 3802 and a SonyDA5ES in your line up. Both are outstanding choices. Also Yamaha is changing their line up to keep up with everyone else and start some real competition. You may want to wait and see whats coming out. But if you are like me, I could not wait. 3802[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    $750-$800=Denon 3802 best buy
    $899-$990= Sony 5 best buy
    $1175=Onkyo 898 best buy