Onkyo 898 vs Integra 8.2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SanfordL, Mar 26, 2002.

1. SanfordL

SanfordL Stunt Coordinator

Is that right, or is the 7.2 comparable to the Onkyo 898? The whole thing seems shadowy and there's not too much info on the Integra's that I've found directly compared against the Onkyo's. If anyone can give me their impressions on the 2, or direct me to reviews so I can figure it out.

"Oh I am so confused, they talked fancy to me."

2. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

The current issue of The Perfect Vision has a positive review on the 898.I would personaly only use the review as a guide,not as a complete reference.I,myself cannot justify the price difference between the two.I'm leaning towards the 898,but let your ears be your guide.

3. Paul A. Robinso

I've owned the TX-DS898 for 6months and given the additional features the Integra version of the TX-DS898, the DTR-8.2 model I didn't need the following DTR-8.2 features....
    Basically after some extensive research(last year)
    What's the difference, let me simplify your quest...
    The TX-DS-898 7-features over the TX-DS797/DTR-7.2
    -7-Channel of amplification at 110watts per channel
    -Front Panel Door(More refine look)no light inside
    -Pure-Audio Circuitry (DTR-7.2 has this feature)
    -Powered Zone-2(in Stereo) while listening to
    5.1(surround in the Main room.....cool...
    - One additional Toslink Input(=4) & Output(=2)
    The Intergra DTR-8.2/DTR-7.2 over the TX-DS898/797
    - A-Buss Russound allows for an additional
    4-zone listening range(optional are control
    key-pads and IR-repeaters at each zones).
    - CHAD Pronto remote Vers of TSR2000 not in color)
    - RS232C Control only
    - THD = .05% (vs .08%)
    - 2nd Trigger to control curtains/2nd-AMP/Screen etc:
    - Higher build quality.......
    - 3year warranty (v2 2years)
    - Gold Plated A/V and S-Video connectors.
    - Detachable AC-power cord
    MSRP from the TX-DS797 to the TX-DS898....$500.00
    MSRP from the TX-DS797 to the DTR-7.2 ....$500.00
    MSRP from the TX-DS898 to the DTR-8.2 ....$500.00
    TX-DS898 MSRP 1500.00 DTR-8.2 MSRP 2000.00
    What is your HT-environment and Whats in your wallet...[​IMG]

4. Danie_P

Danie_P Extra

Hmmm could someone please explain this to me..

Is there two versions of the Onkyo 898????

I got the 898 with integra marks on it and the pronto as remote.

So there is another verison that dont have the Integra sign and no pronto as remote?? or?

anyone?

Cheers

Daniel

5. SanfordL

Paul, thanks for the info. The only place I've found around me, Simply Stereo (I think) in Hoffman Estates, doesn't carry Onkyo too I don't think. Must be an Onkyo conspiracy of some sort or another. Doesn't the Integra 8.2 also offer the ability to download new codecs or whatever as newer surround processes are created? That has been the main reason why I am even considering the Integra.

When you say higher build quality, what do you mean exactly? I imagine they would both use the same amps, caps, etc so what is better? I like the lower THD, but $500.00 for .03% THD?

How has your 898 treated you? Did you get yours on line, or via a local Chicagoland dealer? It seems that most online dealers aren't authorized (which begs the question, why pay $600.00 more for a receiver just to get a 2 year warranty you won't use) but the prices are much better.

6. David_ME

David_ME Auditioning

SanfordL

i think that simply stereo carries Onkyo but they don't have

too many on the floor. atleast they did when i bought my integra 5.2 last april, so things might have changed. i know that the 5.2 and the 595 have different capacitors that looked larger when we (me and a salesman) took the tops off to compare, also the amp had an integra logo on it but looked similar to the 595, any way i got a pretty good price on the 5.2 that definatly justified the extra year warrenty over the 595. i also like the silver buttons.

david

7. Paul A. Robinso

The only Onkyo/Integra HT-receiver that is upgradable is the TX-DS989/DTR-9.1 receivers.
    Canada has a version of the TX-DS898 in silver with RS-232- control only connection and the "Integra" insignial on it.
    Higer build quality as far as internals parts(Capacitors,Heat-Sinks etc[​IMG]
    The TX-DS898 has been great....the sound is warm,not bright and the cost(in Nov/2001) for mine was 1250.00 w/an additional 5yr warranty which cost 100.00. Purchased at B/M Circuit City.
    I wouldn't pay 500.00 more for a receiver that isn't
    upgradable but 250.00........well the additional features I think warrant a couple of extra bucks.
    Also the Brick and Mortar HT-problem-response over 5years for a 100.00-warranty sits fine with me for the future.
    This receiver from Onecall.com is around 1100.00 and I believe is a authorized dealer.
    Ohh the price I paid in November-2001, came from a
    temporary misquote by Circuit-City.
    Good Luck...............

8. SanfordL

Paul, I don't know where I thought I had read that the Integra 8.2 was upgradeable. I just checked Integra's website and you are correct. Oh well, what can you do? I have a Kenwood right now that has been a real workhorse for me, but most of their (Kenwood's) new receivers in the $1000.00 ~ $1500.00 price range are all 5 amp'd channels with the pre-amp output for the 6 & 7 channels unless I am mistaken. Ah hell, just when you think you have it figured out, everything changes again. Now I wonder about the pre-pro thing.[​IMG] This is going to be one of those days isn't it? Take it easy everyone and have a good whatever you celebrate if anything this weekend.