1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

ONKYO 898 Owners, does this bother you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSP, Dec 3, 2001.

1. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I used to own the 3801 and really liked the Personal Memory plus feature. Now I have the 898 and really miss that feature. I hate to be adjusting the Bass and treble or individual channel settings for different inputs and sound formats. The 3801 remembered this.

Am I not doing something right or what? Does this bother you or how do you get around this?

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I know that hitting the test button on the 575x remote saves all the settings...hopefully the 898's RC-460M wireless remote has a Test button!

3. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Nick,

As an 898 owner I know what you are talking about, but it hasn't been a problem for me. The Onkyo 898 has several universal settings, such as speaker size, tone control, speaker levels, etc. and these settings cannot be set differently for the various imputs and processing settings. I don't mess with tone control but I do wish that I could turn up the rear channel level for the all channel stereo mode. I'm not sure if any Onkyo receiver, even the 989, has this feature.

Thanks,

jjones

PS - All in all, I still love this receiver. Nothing I heard sounded as good without spending a lot more money.

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Thanks Chuck and Jeffrey. Jeff, you hit the nail on its head. It is only in the all channel mode that I need to adjust the surround channel levels as you said. Other than that I can pretty much live with the tone controls.

5. bryan_chow

bryan_chow Agent

Does the 898 remember DSP settings for individual inputs? For example, I want VCR to use DPL II, DVD to use Neo:6, etc.

What about THX-EX and DTS-ES? Does it figure these out automatically from the source?

I'm debating between the 898 and 3802/4802. How do you guys like the 898?

Thanks,

Bryan

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Bryan, I used to own the 3801 and have tried the 3802 for a couple of weeks. Of all the three, I prefered the 898 for music and HT.

The 898 does remember DSP settings but unlike the 3802, it does not remember individual channel settings for those DSPs as our discussion above states.