Onkyo 898 OSD question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Broome, May 24, 2002.

1. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

The only video out connection I have is a component out to my PJ, and I can't figure out if the reason the OSD isn't coming up is because it doesn't work on Component outs, or if I am doing something boneheaded. I didn't see anything in the manual about it not outputting the OSD over the component outs, but I read it at midnight in bed last night when I was to tired to play with it anymore :)

2. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Page 18

Caution:
    Note that the Setup menu will only be displayed on the monitor connected to MONITOR OUT and not those connected to the COMPONENT VIDEO OUTPUT jacks.

3. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

What do you know. I skipped that section at midnight when I read the manual, since I wasn't planning on connecting any way except component. Personnaly I would have thought it would have been a good idea to reiterate that note on the Setup Menu pages beginning on page 26.

Thanks for the pointer!

4. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    That little feature got me too on my 797. Glad it wasn't just me.

5. Jason Edgecombe

I've been thinking about getting this receiver, but this thread brings up a question: I do not have component video on my TV, so I would be using the S-Video. If I use the S-Video output, will I *always* see the OSD, or is there a way to turn it off?

If I'm always going to see Volume bars at the bottom of my screen, that's a deal killer...

6. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

You should be able to turn the OSD on
    and off.