What's new

Onkyo 898 for $999 at Circuit City? (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Someone on another site reported that he tried to get the deal, but the price was already back up to $1499.

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Luckly, I jumped on the deal Sat night, here at local c.c. in so. cal. Hmm one other question, the new onkyos are using 196/24bt dac's.......the 787 that I have uses 96/24bit dac's........will there be a audio diff, or is it al based on the source material??
John

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
I received an email reply from Onkyo USA Product support today, which contradicted what they told me on the phone 2 weeks ago (regarding the 898 having dimension, center width, panorama adjustments for Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode)....
"Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support
The TX-DS494/595/696/797/898 does not have the center width, dimension, panorama adjustments.
They are only on the TX-DS989Thx
Again, thank you for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support."
I'm sure this more current email is correct. They probably were guessing when I called 2 weeks ago.
------
OCT 5th update: I took ownership of a TX-DS797 today, and guess what? IT DOES HAVE THE ADJUSTMENTS!!! I guess Onkyo's Product Support team wasn't quite ready to answer my questions on this new product.
[Edited last by Paul_Psutka on October 05, 2001 at 12:10 AM]

Andy_A

Second Unit
One more main difference is the addition of one more toslink on the 898. Not enough for me, I got the 797. It could be a big deal, though for some. Also, 110 watts/channel on the 898 versus 100 X 6 on the 797. The 898 does not come with the CHAD. Also, the 898 for 999 deal is dead at Circuit City.

Mike Breeden

Agent
Has anyone that got in on the Circuit City deal heard anything from them. I was able to get in on that deal but have not heard from CC, I was just wondering if anybody else had.
Has anybody seen a cost on the CHAD remote yet. It is on Onkyo's website and you can buy it directly from them but it has a list price of $500.00
Mike

W

Will

The TX-DS494/595/696/797/898 does not have the center width,
dimension, panorama adjustments. They are only on the TX-DS989Thx

Is the Onkyo 989Thx out? How much more is it than the
898? What sort of bass management control does it have?

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
>Is the Onkyo 989Thx out?
It's been out for ages. It's their old flagship with the upgrade for dts-es and dpl2.
It's notable as being the one people dumped for a Denon 5800 :)
>How much more is it than the 898?
Substantially more.
>What sort of bass management control does it have
They're all THX - I guess all 80Hz fixed.
T.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Just in case some people are following this thread for the info on the Panorama, Dimension, and Center Width adjustments for Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode.....
I took ownership of a TX-DS797 today, and to my surprise -- it DOES IN FACT HAVE THE ADJUSTMENTS.
I guess Onkyo's Product Support team wasn't quite ready to answer my question correctly.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Hey Tony,
Is that the same Denon that people are looking to replace because it's non-upgradeable and will become obsolete?
I can't stand it when people jump in a thread to crap on it. I have an Onkyo and am a die hard supporter of them. However, we have a Denon amp at work with some Paradigm speakers and it makes a beautiful presentation. I'd recommend either brand without hesitation. It's all about open minds and personal tastes.
The 989 is known as a very good reciever and virtually future proof. Unless you have 2500 bucks or so,though, you could easily be served with a 797 or 898 and be happy.
Matt Wallace
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
So, now that everyone has a 797 or 898, how're you guys likin'em?
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Mike Breeden

Agent
Has anyone received their unit from CC? Has anyone heard from CC? I got in on this deal and have called twice but all they indicated was that it was not in yet.
Just curious
Mike

AllenD

Second Unit
Do a search. I read it here last week that they've received theirs from CC. He had to call in and see what was taking so long.

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Im also having the same problem......called the C.C. store where I ordered it and they said that Onkyo had not shipped them the reciever(898)to their warehouse yet. And told me they'd give me a call when it came in. Even calling the C.C. 1800 number gave me the same result. I eventually emailed Onkyo about the reciever and this is what they replied.....[
Dear Jonathan,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at Onkyo USA. It is very important for us to hear from our customers and to respond them as soon as possible.
It seems that Circuit City have not order many receivers. According to my list Onkyo has the TXDS989 instock, so you may have to contact circuit city about this situation. If you need any further assistance, you can contact me at (201) 785-2600 ext. 2615 or at [email protected].
Once again, thank you fro taking the time to write to us.
Sincerely,
Morena Trujillo
Order Department ................ ]
HMMM STILL PUZZLED.....and my patience is slipping.
John

AllenD

Second Unit
John,
If you cut and paste that message, you might want to clear it up you're talking about an 898, not a 989. :)

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Actually that was a direct email quote from the onkyo cust. rep, so I don't know if it was a mistake, if she dosen't know what she's talking about or just her typo emailing me back.
John

Mike Breeden

Agent
I noticed that Circuit City has the 898 listed on their website. I wonder if they will have it in stock soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I got the Integra 8.2 with the Chad remote from my local dealer for 25% off the $2k list. I've had it for over a week now and it is pretty slick.
------------------
Ken Winders

David Head

Second Unit
Will,
This is consistent with Circuit City's last pricing mistake on the 696. It was originally mispriced online for $525 and is now listed at $799.
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks