What's new

Onkyo 898 for $999 at Circuit City? (1 Viewer)

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
The following is a post from the coupons and bargains forum:
"Hi, I just ordered the new Onkyo 898 with an MSRP of $1500 from Circuit City for $999. This is a very good deal on this receiver. They did require me to pay 20% ($200) to order it, but what a deal!"
Ravzan

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Circuit City today, and they didn't even have the Onkyo 898 listed in their computer..... so the salesman said there was no way he could order it or get a price on one.
9/21 uddate: discovered they have to look it up specifically as Onkyo TXDS898, instead of a listing of Onkyo receivers. Was still at $999 this evening (Friday at 7pm EST).
[Edited last by Paul_Psutka on September 21, 2001 at 10:49 PM]

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Thanks for passing on the info! I stopped at Circuit City after work and pre-ordered my for $999! Wow! I think they input the price of the 797 for the 898. But I'm not going to complain! The timing stinks, since I just bought the 696 a couple of months ago. Guess I'll just sell it.

TomH

Second Unit
The preout spec for the 898 is listed at 1v. Is this a major concern for those considering it as a preamp? Most amps require between 1 and 2 volts for full output.
Tom

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, so is the Denon 5800, 1 v. I used the Onkyo 696 as a preamp and didn't like it much. I wonder if the preamp section in the 898 is better than the one in the 696.
I stopped by a Circuit City today, the 898 was indeed listed for $999 in their computer. I also asked about the 797 and that one showed up as discontinued. Weird...
Razvan

Finn Z

Auditioning
Thanks for the great info! I couldn't believe that this was true. I ran to Circuit City and put down my money. It is true! I've heard the street date is Oct. 12. Has anyone else heard a date yet!

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
smiley_jawdrop.gif
Man that thing looks pretty
smiley_jawdrop.gif
. If I only had one more home to put a theater in I would grab one of those up.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Man that thing looks pretty. If I only had one more home to put a theater in I would grab one of those up.
Where can you see it? I can't locate it at Onkyo's site.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
You can check it out at:
Onkyo.net
The U.S. model doesn't come with the Pronto style remote, though.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Thanks Pamela.
It's on Crutchfield's site too. It appears that the US model is black.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
[Edited last by Scott H on September 22, 2001 at 03:00 AM]

Mike Breeden

Agent
I received an automated e-mail from OneCall that said they now had them in stock. I also ran to CC last night and took advantage of the deal

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, I called Onkyo's product support yesterday to ask that specific question. They said the 898 does have the adjustments for Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode, but the 797 does not. So the 898 and 989 are the only models to have the panoramic, dimension, and center width adjustments.
THIS INFO is probably INCORRECT. See my below post dated Oct 2nd.
[Edited last by Paul_Psutka on October 02, 2001 at 09:18 PM]

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Good luck guys, I hope CC ends up selling you these units for $999 because I am sure that it is a mistake. I might try to get one myself.

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have the onkyo 787, thinking about selling it to my cousin for $700.00. Does any one know the main differences between the 797 and the 898 besides the extra channel and the adjustable prologic II. Just curious.
John

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Those seem to be the main differences, Jonathan. Which makes the 797 a much better value considering the $500 difference in list price, unless the 898 comes with the CHAD/Pronto remote. Maybe someone should call Onkyo product support to ask what remote the 898 comes with. I'll be away next week, so I can't call - but here's the #: 1-800-229-1687.
[Edited last by Paul_Psutka on September 22, 2001 at 11:23 PM]

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
If you guys have any desire to jump on this deal, do it now. It's been taking Circuit City less than a full week to find these pricing errors and eradicate them. I waited for 5 days to get my 696 for $549 and two days later, they had the website and the store corrected to never show a trace. They did this on the Polk 55i's a month ago as well.
Honestly, I think these might be deliberate loss-leaders made to look like "oops" jobs to get people back in the stores. Look at the stuff this is happening to: clearly items J6P isn't shoppping regularly. It seems to be working, though. I have to admit I've been in Circuit City and checking their site more since I bought my reciever than all the days since DIVX combined. Wouldn't you? LOL...
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks